Ibanez AK105 artcore custom

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by monkmiles, Sep 14, 2008.

1. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

Got an Ibanez AK105 and am loving it! It's one of the artcore custom line but with a spaltedmaple top and limited production. It's a laminate top es-175 style body, which is what I was looking for as I'm using it electrically and had feedback issues with the solid top archtop I had.

Here's pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/jazzgeetar/IbanezAK105#

One of the first things I had to do was set it up with new strings. It came with roundwound 9s or 10s and I restrung it with flatwound 12s. It's easy and comfortable to play and sounds sweet! The neck is fantastic, body is beautiful and the wooden (rosewood) around the pickups and volume/tone knobs is a nice touch. I can get a nice, fat jazz tone with it...kinda going for that electric Joe Pass tone.

2. MartinC

MartinC Member

Looks fantastic ... congrats.

I've got a lot of respect for the Ibanez Artcore range. I was playing my dad's AS103 only yesterday. Build quality is extremely good ... tone and resonance to match. Bring in the price and they're hard to match.

3. monkmiles

Thanks MartinC. Yea, I think the regular artcores are good value, but especially think the artcore customs are well made, good guitars.

4. blhm84

blhm84 Member

I'm a huge believer in the artcore series, I play the ak-95 and do jazz gigs with it, when people comment on the tone they don't believe me when I tell them that the guitar cost less than five hundred bucks.

5. Jerryr

Jerryr Member

I've read a lot of good things about the AK105. I asked my local dealer about them and he told me they were no longer listed in his literature and I came to the conclusion they were a limited run. Every Ibanez product I've owned has been great.

6. monkmiles

It took some effort for me to find one. According to the Ibanez parts site (ibanez.com/parts) it was a limited production run during the month of May 2008. The dealer I got mine from said they had a fair amount of them in their warehouse. Give me a pm if you want their info.

7. steven.rogers

steven.rogers Member

Looks awesome, I've been eyeing the AK100 myself. Any chance of some soundclips?

8. monkmiles

Yea, I'll try to record something and post it up here later this week or weekend.

If I couldn't find the AK105, I was going to go with the AK100. I used to have an AF105 so I knew what to expect with the artcore custom line...but I was really a sucker for the darker finish/color of the the AK has, it's splated maple top, its tailpiece, etc.

9. monkmiles

10. steven.rogers

steven.rogers Member

Thanks for the clip, it has a good sound.

I'll have to keep my eye open for one soon.

11. soulohio

soulohio Member

is there an Ibanez with a mahogony neck, laminate top that does the rock n roll thing? If not Ibanez, who? P90's and Bigsby are a plus.

maybe I need to look back at my original idea of a Gretsch Electromatic since my Yamaha has not worked out.

12. 5E3

5E3 Member

Looks great. Congrats! :AOK