ibanez artist love

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rorschah, May 24, 2006.

1. rorschah

rorschah Member

Spent the last three days re-falling in love with my early 80's Ibanez Artist. After spending the last year or so only playing tele and acoustic, I picked up the Artist and it just sang to me. It's so deep and low on the lower strings, and so freaking twangly and snappy on the higher. I love the thing.

So, to whoever it was on this board who, a good two years ago, recommended that I look into 80's MIJ Ibanez, thank you, thank you, thank you.

Best $300 I ever spent.

-thi

2. MGT

MGT Member

I had an Artist in the early 80's (I turned 20 in '84) that I traded in for something else. I loved the guitar but was playing 'hair metal' at the time and the semi-hollow just wasn't cool....now that I'm older (playing again after a LONG layoff) and a Scofield fan, I find I'm kicking my butt every day for being so short-sighted. I'd love to have another one!!!

3. Phil M

Phil M Member

Back in the early '90s I found a soldibody Artist at a store. $300 out the door. I put Duncan JB and AP Pro II pickups in and the thing absolutely screamed. Problem was the neck kept bowing and the guitar became unusable. It seemed to need a truss rod adjustment every couple of days and the neck would move too much. I took it to a tech a few times and he said to get rid of it so I did.

It was almost a very cool guitar.

4. HHB

HHB Member

81 AS50 w/ Voodoo59 pickups, bought it from our own JeffnMoe last month, played it all night every night since I got a grounding issue resolved, my new obsession and ticket back to high school LOL!

[​IMG]

5. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

'80 AS50

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I bought this a few months ago.
    At first I wasn't knocked out, but now... well my Heritage 535 is very lonely.

Harry Jacobson
    www.harryj.net

6. tone4days

tone4days Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is my am-50 (smaller body) with bill lawrence XL-500Ls ... it's an '83 .. maser volume, master tone ... the toggle switches let me put each pup into (internal) series or parallel ... the 4-way chickenhead lets me get neck, n+b in phase, n+b out of phase, or bridge

7. Phil M

Phil M Member

Hmm, mine looked similar to these but it was solid (no f-holes). It also had a brass plate behind the tailpiece.

8. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

The original Ibanez Artists were solid body, double cutaway LP type guitars (or at least the ones I saw new in the late 70's). They later applied this same "Artist" name to the John Scofield hollow bodies that looked like ES-335's.

But here's what the originals looked like. This is a 77 Artist 2618 24 fret model (I put in some custom Wolfetone pickups 7.4k neck, 8.4k bridge) in this one.
    [​IMG]

And this is my 82 Artist model with 22 frets, sporting a Burstbucker 1 in the neck and a Fralin 9.2K bridge pickup (the original Flying Finger Ibanez pickups are shown in this pic)..
    [​IMG]

9. LaXu

LaXu Member

I've always liked the Ibanez Artists. I've only tried the solidbody models. Sadly the reissues just don't come close to the older ones.

10. Mac Daddy 355

Mac Daddy 355 MilkBone Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

11. joeh77

joeh77 Member

Had an early 80's AS200. The first electric I bought. It was a great guitar! I got the GAS for a PRS and, stupid me, traded it in at GC. Got ripped off in the deal too!

I guess you live and learn!

Joe:jo

12. rorschah

rorschah Member

Yeah, mine's a solidbody. Picked up on ebay for, just checked it, $340 plus shipping. When I got it, it sounded like crap, which is probably why the guy got rid of it, because it has one of the nicest necks ever. The bridge was completely covered in rust, everywhere. I soaked it in lighter fluid overnight, brushed the screws and the saddles to get all the rust off, and suddenly it just sounded pure and beautiful.

Smokin'.

Heavy as sin, though.

13. joeh77

joeh77 Member

That looks like the one I had. Except mine had the "pearl" tuning buttons. Does that make it older or newer than '81?

Joe

14. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

For those who around Toronto and such, I saw an '82 Artist today at Capsule Music. For anyone interested it's a LEFTY. AR300/2619 I think. Excellent condition. I would have cried if it was a right hander - no $$ to buy it.

15. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

Recently sold it but...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Phil M

Phil M Member

This is exactly what mine looked like except mine was a tobacco sunburst rather than cherry. I put Grovers and Duncans in, too.

17. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I want to get one from the 70s with Super pickups in it.

18. fingerpickerguy

fingerpickerguy Member

Man, I love those things. I have never played one, but they look so classy. I have to get one at some point.:AOK

19. mude

mude Supporting Member

I think this is an Artist 105. Between and friend and I we have had it for a very long time. Really a killer guitar. It is heavy, but fantastic sustain and playability. Big fat tone with still an agressive cutting bridge tone.

I mostly play Suhr stuff now and kick around selling it once it a while, but they really are a bargain IMO for the good ones.

Evan.

[​IMG]

20. brattmoore

brattmoore Member