Ibanez Artist neck heavy

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by rockon1, Dec 29, 2005.

1. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Due to location of strap button(upper horn) my Artist is neck heavy when using a strap. Only two options I can think of is relocation of strap button to behend base of neck perhaps(which I'd rather not do) or hook the strap to the neck like my acoustic. Wondering if thats a bad idea considering the weight involved?

2. cranqued

cranqued Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, my take is that you're right to be concerned about attaching the strap to the neck. And I'm wondering if the heel option would really provide the right balance. Seeing how the heel lines up vs. the upper horn on my Artist, it almost seems like it would be an even trade, balance-wise.

How off-kilter is it?

3. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Not tooo bad Im just not used to it. My older 1979 Artists seem to be better balanced as their bodies are much heavier. The one in question is a 2003 AR250. Its really a beuatiful (albiet made in Korea) Artist. Sunburst with a real flame top-not veneer. However the guitar ,especially the body , is much lighter than my vintage models(I own 2 identical 79's)so I imagine thats why its a bit more neck heavy. It plays and sounds great stock and I really like the fact it IS much lighter than my older artists just dont like the feeling like Im holding up the neck! Guess I wont strap it to the neck as I dont think that would be good for it either. Thanks Bob

4. PanamaCZ

PanamaCZ Member

Out there, but maybe worth considering is a waist belt. The waist belt reeves through the adjustable loop-portion of the strap and fastens to the butt-end strap button. This also helps to position the guitar forward of where it might hang normally – which is why I use it. It’s home made, but does the job as long as “cool” isn’t a requirement.

5. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

This is kinda a radical solution but I had a Yamaha with the same issue that I added a Bigsby to, now it balances perfectly.

[​IMG]

6. cranqued

cranqued Gold Supporting Member

Looks fantastic, Jon.