Ibanez AS50 educate me

MES10

There is an AS50 being sold locally on craigslist. The guitar looks great, but I am unfamiliar with the model. Does any one have any experience with these? Are they decent guitars or should I stay away?

zztomato

probably really nice. The early 80s ones were probably the best overall. Pickups were either super 58s or 70s. Great build quality but the necks are quite slim- not narrow- but typical Ibanez slim wide profile. I've had a few as-200s from that time period - the gold standard Ibanez AS series guitar- they were all great, well built, excellent sounding guitars but I just can't handle the slim necks. I had one 83 that had a slightly fuller neck profile and wish to hell I'd kept it because it was an anomaly.
Go check it out- might be awesome.

billy budapest

Silver Supporting Member
If the price is attractive and the condition is good, then by all means go and check it out. They are fantastic guitars - especially circa '81- '83 and especially with Super '58s.

HayekFan

probably really nice. The early 80s ones were probably the best overall. Pickups were either super 58s or 70s. Great build quality but the necks are quite slim- not narrow- but typical Ibanez slim wide profile. I've had a few as-200s from that time period - the gold standard Ibanez AS series guitar- they were all great, well built, excellent sounding guitars but I just can't handle the slim necks. I had one 83 that had a slightly fuller neck profile and wish to hell I'd kept it because it was an anomaly.
Go check it out- might be awesome.
I had two of them, a '78 and a '79, and they both had fat necks. Have also played an '81 with a fat neck. They must have changed the profile sometime in the early '80s.

zztomato

I had two of them, a '78 and a '79, and they both had fat necks. Have also played an '81 with a fat neck. They must have changed the profile sometime in the early '80s.
Really, as-200s with fat necks? Hmm, maybe we have a different definition. I'm a guitar tech- I've owned a few and played a ton of them. All have the wide but shallow profile. Not saying that it's impossible but I've yet to play one that I would consider "fat".

I should say that the necks are not skinny like some of the 80s shredder Ibanez necks, just slim by most definitions- .80 at the first fret.

Snottyboy

I have an '81 AS-50. Excellent guitar in all aspects. But...be sure to identify which pickups are in it. Mine came stock with uncovered cream-coiled V2's which were high-output. Why they chose those I just can't figure?? I changed them out to my liking which required changing the pickup rings as Ibanez uses a 2-screw version on the top side of the pickup. Not a big deal if you plan on keeping the guitar, but if you dont you'll likely want to keep the "all original" integrity of the guitar which means being able to put it back to stock.

HayekFan

Really, as-200s with fat necks? Hmm, maybe we have a different definition. I'm a guitar tech- I've owned a few and played a ton of them. All have the wide but shallow profile. Not saying that it's impossible but I've yet to play one that I would consider "fat".

I should say that the necks are not skinny like some of the 80s shredder Ibanez necks, just slim by most definitions- .80 at the first fret.
You know what, I just realized I've got my model numbers mixed up. The ones I have experience with are the AR series, not the AS series. The ARs are the double cutaway solidbodies, not the semihollows being discussed here. Sorry for the confusion!

MES10

It's good to hear it has a comfortable neck, I'm not a fan of uber-slim necks. It has the Super 58 pickups, so it looks like I need to make arrangements to go check this out.

zztomato

It's good to hear it has a comfortable neck, I'm not a fan of uber-slim necks. It has the Super 58 pickups, so it looks like I need to make arrangements to go check this out.
For sure. The super 58s are great pickups.

Snottyboy

It has the Super 58 pickups, so it looks like I need to make arrangements to go check this out.
Early Super 58s are really nice pickups (Alnico 3 which is a little unusual). I've got them in an '82 AR-105av. Full, great clarity and articulation.

Follow up on whether or not you acquire the AS-50 and your impressions of it.

Trending Topics