ibanez AS73B

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Hound Dog61, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Hound Dog61

Hound Dog61 Member

Recently I have been shopping for a new guitar. I was originally looking for a guitar to set-up solely for slide. I got some great ideas from here on which models to look at, but ultimately my "thing" for semi-hollow bodies has got me. Not being able to justify a 335(maybe one day when I grow up!) I was looking at epi DOTs. I also have a thing for gretsch so I was looking at them as well. Then I came across the AS73B. IMHO the flat black finish is just too cool! And for 275-350, it is hard to pass up. I can't help but wonder how it would look with some covered "chrome" pick-ups, and maybe even a bigsby. Sorry, got a little carried away.....so to get back to the point, has anyone played one or seen one up close? I can't find one around here to look at and play. I am dying to check one out.

2. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

I own one and love playing it. It is really quite nice for $270. Is it perfect? No. It could use some better pickups, the saddles on the bridge buzzed, and it needs a bit of fretwork. With guitars in this price range, you really need to play them to see if they have any serious issues. But, really, for $270 it is a great guitar.

Bryan

3. Hound Dog61

Hound Dog61 Member

Yeah, I can deal with that. I have a rogue resonator...it doesn't get much cheaper. I love it though, real cool for 100 bones. I will probably change the pickups to covered ones. Any suggestions for pickups? I was thinking something kind of like a PAF.

4. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

I'll probably put Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers in mine. I thought about using Lollars, but those would cost as much as the guitar, which seems silly. Seth Lovers are great PAFish pickups.

Bryan

5. Hound Dog61

Hound Dog61 Member

I found one for 200.00 with case, but is over the web so i can't play it or see it. Not sure if I want to take the chance.....