Ibanez AS80 with Super 58 pickups: Not bad!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by kingsxman, Apr 22, 2016.

1. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

I picked up an Ibanez AS80 335 copy guitar recently and was very impressed with the pickups on it. So much so that I had to pull the pickups to see what they were. I was thinking they maybe had been replaced and was suprised to see that these are the stock Super 58's. Overall these are pretty impressive pickups for a $350 used guitar. I'm in the process of changing out the pots to something better (plus this is a 90's guitar so the pots are just old) and assuming that will give an even better tone.
    I have a bunch of different pickups laying around (sheptone, duncans) so I'm STILL tempted to swap out the Super 58's...but being as its a 335...and a pain in the ass to do...I'm a bit hesitant to do it.

Anyone have any experience with the 90's Super 58 pickups? Am I nuts thinking these are not bad pickups?

2. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

They ARE good pickups. Use 'em if you like 'em.

3. Mr. Crow

Mr. Crow Member

I played a 90's Korean Ibanez AS80 Artstar for for several years. It was an excellent guitar. Mine was the earliest model with the 'castle' headstock, the later models had the 'tulip' headstock, and I think the later ones came with the better pickups. My pickups were always a bit microphonic, and while not bad, weren't the strong point of the guitar. Still, an excellent instrument.

4. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

Owned one for years and loved it. The only thing that moved me past it was a Gibson 335.

IBZ, well built, play like butter, with a sweet and airy tone from the 58s

5. jaded_musician

jaded_musician Supporting Member

Great guitars, the other guitar player in my band uses one as his main axe.

6. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

Those "castle" headstocks are super cool. I wish mine had that instead of the "tulip". Still...could be worse. At least the rest of the body is pretty much stock 335 looking.

7. mdog114

mdog114 Member

I kept mine over a real 335, it was just a better guitar in every way. I'm not Gibson bashing, I picked up a 339 after I let the 335 go and it's one of my favorite guitars.

8. axe4me

axe4me Member

[​IMG]

kingsxman likes this.
  9. reprove

reprove Member

I have an AS-50 from '82 with the 58's and absolutely love it. Would love to pickup an AS-100 of the same ilk some day.