Ibanez AZ Killers?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bdonnelly, Jul 19, 2019.

1. PatriotBadger

PatriotBadger Member

I like the looks of this one a lot. The tobacco burst looks fantastic. My only concern would be neck profile. The Charvels I've played have necks that feel super thin to me and that puts me off a bit. The AZs have beefier profiles that feel better in hand. I'll be looking for one to try though!

2. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Not to me, I like the AZ’s over the DK24’s I’ve played.

TimmyPage and mystixboi like this.
  3. willyboy

willyboy Member

I think they look pretty cool, I just may have to pick one up as a compliment to my Shell Pink HSS version. I still wished there were some other color choices

1973Marshall likes this.
  4. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Don't think so. I might take one of those over the Premium AZ, but the Prestige AZ models are always top notch IMO aside from a custom shop guitar. Also $1000+ for a MIM is getting high :eek:

5. RicardoDiazHimself

RicardoDiazHimself Member

There were already Ibanez AZ killers. They're made by suhr :)
    But these look great too!

6. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan Member

I like 'em. Miss having a Charvel. Had a great one but moved it along because I just don't like the FR.

7. mertay

mertay Member

Cleans on AZ are better.

8. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

I really don't think a Suhr Classic is going to be better than a Prestige Ibanez. I've played both quite a bit, and they're on the same level.

speakerdad and freedom's door like this.
  9. Qstick333

Qstick333 Member

That’s would be right up my alley if it didn’t have jumbo frets. That eliminates lots of Ibanez’s as well. It only took me a few purchases to finalize realize they just aren’t my thing.

10. LTigh

LTigh Member

Maybe if they make a 22-fret HSS version, I would consider it.

11. RicardoDiazHimself

Just on the fretwork alone, they are. Neck fit, # of body pieces, cut of the neck, silent system, pick-ups, etc.
    But love Prestige's and they're of great quality. But the suhr will be pricier, even if that gives you a bit more quality.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  12. lessthan12

lessthan12 Member

I just go the USA Custom Shop version in at the beginning of the week. Granted its built by the custom shop its BY FAR better playing, sounding and feeling TO ME than some of the AZ I auditioned before making my choice, everyone is different though of course. I also bought this one online and wasnt able to play the US version beforehand. It hangs with anything Ive owned from Anderson, Suhr etc.
    [​IMG]

13. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Is the AZ what that Martin Miller bloke plays (the blue one)?

14. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

Agree to disagree. I've had the benefit of playing many Suhrs, Prestige Ibanez, as well as Tom Andersons and Tylers. If I'm spending that much (>$2500-$3000) on a guitar, I'd get an Anderson any day. Suhrs are nice guitars, but I feel as though they've gone higher than they're worth.

15. RicardoDiazHimself

Anderson's are great too. To me they're on the same tier. Prestige's aren't. They're below both.
    Ibanez still doesn't do Stainless steel frets as nice as their nickel ones. Nor plek them, and their pickups hum. Just a bunch of things that give Suhr and Anderson the edge and, to me, justify the price difference.
    J customs are on that tier, tho. But prestige arent

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  16. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Yup, it's his signature model. Stunning guitar!
    [​IMG]

freedom's door, Bluesful and willyboy like this.
  17. lessthan12

lessthan12 Member

As someone who's owned pretty much everything including 5 Anderson, 1 of which was an Angel I personally spec'd out and ordered, I think they're great guitars but theres a reason I sold them and went Suhr. I can post pictures of qc issues Ive had on my Andersons including the $4800 custom order Angel. Nothing major, but had some finish flaws that shouldn't have been there, clear coat drips etc. The biggest issue I had with Anderson was the electronics. I had an issue with noise with ALL the Andersons I had in my house. It occurred while touching the plastic part of the pup bobbin while playing and was quite aggravating if you're someone that rests their pinky on that part of the pup while playing. I had reached out to Anderson about it and they were nice about it but really didn't offer any answers. I continued buying Andersons despite having problems with noise because I liked the way they felt...Until I got a Suhr. Sorry, but they're most certainly not going for more than they're worth lol, with that logic they'd be out of business... Absolutely ZERO flaws and perfect fit, finish and playability on the ones Ive had and all the ones Ive played in shops before ordering mine.
    At the end of the day though, they're both top notch companies with great QC that Id pick over an Ibanez any day. O, don't get me started on Ibanez, have had a bunch of J customs as well. Talk to ANY dealer you're close with about Ibanez and ask them how many they have to refuse and send back because of neck issues out of the box

18. TimmyPage

TimmyPage Member

It's cool to see Thomas Griggs demoing this! (With some jazz fusion too, which makes sense considering the HUGE jazz/neo-soul crowd on Instagram)

ivers likes this.
  19. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Yeah, those 'Super Strats' or whatever they are called are a mile away from my thing, but I really like the look of that one. Would love to actually try one out.