• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Ibanez AZ Premium Series Guitars

telejammer

Anyone own or have experience with the Ibanez AZ Premium 220AF ? I think I have the model correct, it is the HSS model made in Indonesia. I had a chance to play one at a local shop and was quite impressed. It had a lot of sounds in it and played really nice, felt solid, and seemed like a lot for the money. Is the one made in Japan (Prestige) model that much nicer or better made? The Premium is listed for $1299.00 but they are available for less most places. Whats TGP thoughts on this guitar, would like to know what you think.

s2y

I have heard that some of the Premiums don't have the best QC. If you like it, probably doesn't have any issues. I recently picked up the Prestige version. Very useful tones.

Old Guy

I had one. The fit and finish were excellent. It was a really nice guitar, but the neck was too thick for me and the pickups weren't my flavor. I found the pickups very dark. I didn't like all that switching stuff either.

The locking tuners are weird too. No little wheel to tighten. They tighten when you wind the strings. Was unusual for me.

I eventually sold it.

The HSS version is the AZ 224F. I had the BIG. Was quite nice to look at.

s2y

I haven't restrung mine. I was a little curious how to do that.

The neck fits me fine. I'm good with thick and thin back profiles as long as it's not a V cut and/or has neck dive. I'm more about fretboard radius, good frets, and low action.

I personally love the switching options. Without them, I probably wouldn't own it.

The pickups definitely have that modern sound with the highs and high mids trimmed off. Works fine for general applications. Not good if someone wants a good Hendrix, SRV, or surf music sound. Good enough for rock applications? Sure. I'd imagine a lot of Ibanez users use high gain, lighter strings, and excessively low action, which might sound harsh. I do a little bit of everything, so they sound fine with no gain, low, medium, and high gain.

telejammer

I live near Pittsburgh,Pa. ,wish there was a Prestige model to see and play to compare them. Anyway,thanks to all that responded to my post.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom