1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ibanez DML delay

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Kaiser, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

does anyone here own one of these?

is the delay on this pedal digital sounding or analog sounding?

does it self-oscillate?

is it tone sucking?

2. jordanL

jordanL Member

I think thats the digital delay with modulation. The ADL is the analog delay of the series, the DDL is the standard digital delay.

3. playon

playon Supporting Member

The DM stands for "Delay Modulation"... this is an 1980s era pedal. It is digital, depending on the model some are less clean sounding than others. The DML-10 has slightly less delay times and isn't as clean-sounding as the DML-20. The cool thing about those pedals is the long delay times and the really wild modulation effects you can get with them. They are kind of a bargain if that's what you're looking for. I wouldn't use one for slap-back retro kinds of sounds, but they do pretty amazing chorus, 12-string effects, long delays, and wild mangling.

4. MrSage

MrSage Member

The original DML has about 500ms of delay time. The DML-10 has around 900ms. The DML-20 has over a second.

They're all digital, and the DML and DML-10 are by no means "dirty" sounding (unless someone has jacked around extensively with the trimpots). They're much less "digital-sounding" than Boss delays. Much less muddy than, say, a Deluxe Memory Man.

They do fine with slapback and other sounds, but they really excel with chorus, flange, and over the top sounds. Great for U2-style modulated delays, or anywhere you want a Deluxe Memory Man sound without the muddiness and the huge footprint.

5. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Great units, had two of them, was so foolish to sell them when I went rack in the days.

6. jman

jman Member

i had a couple DML 10's for a few years(one of which cost me 10 bucks!)-the very freaky sounds it could do were pretty cool indeed,but i liked the more subtle modulation settings as well(though dialing them in just right can take a little time)...great concept for a floor delay pedal and though mine were kind of rickety they sounded pretty clean. the only really noticeable older 'tone suckers' i have used were some MXR's,but maybe i'm just not quite as picky as others!

7. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Vendor

Love em, have three ( one 10 and 2 20s) geez they will self copulate if you play with them long enough :D the EchoPark has a digital setting with modulation that does some of t he lighter mod stuff......but for just plain molten sickness- cant touch this ( hey its an 80s pedal :AOK )

8. fernmeister

fernmeister Member

one of my all-time favourite pedals. decent enough early digital delay, OK modulated tones but some really funny things when you add modulation to the longer delays.

9. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

I had a DML10 for a while and it was pretty great. By no means analogue sounding, but not too sterile that it was unusable. I could never find a use for the whacky modulation on longer delay settings (but I've since acquired a Boss RDD-10 that's similar and when running a pure delay signal the whackyness becomes much more usuable. IIRC the DML has a direct out and a mix out - perhaps if you plug a dummy in the direct the other output will be delay only?). Apparantly if you tweak the feedback trimpot (labelled fb.) you can get the unit to self-oscillate. Mine would only if you ran a distortion pedal into it. Personally I prefer the Boss unit because it has a tone knob to warm up the delays, but that's half-rack (also has half the delay time) so not for everybody.