Ibanez Fireman

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by FiestaRed, Mar 26, 2019.

1. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

Has anyone owned these or played one enough to keep it long term?

They look fun. I like fatter necks.

[​IMG]

CRAIG4FSU and rawkguitarist like this.
  2. sedawkgrep

sedawkgrep Supporting Member

Paul Gilbert loves em!

...but I’ve never seen one in the wild.

shane8 likes this.
  3. PartoftheDark

PartoftheDark Member

I played one several times and nearly bought it but talked myself out of it at the last second. I loved it though. The neck is interesting. I normally like a shredder but as fat as it is, I didn't really feel slowed by it. Paul knows why, I'm sure.

4. RICFREAK

RICFREAK Member

I love my Korina.
    [​IMG]

RCM78, stanshall, scolfax and 14 others like this.
  5. CBHTele

CBHTele Supporting Member

I had the FRM100 for a bit, but had to let it go due to finances at the time. The Dimarzio Injectors sounded good, just as advertised, and the neck is quite fat. The reverse-Iceman body looks odd at first, but is surprisingly comfortable, even when sitting. I would (and very well may) get another, or a variant.

FiestaRed likes this.
  6. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

Wow! That's nice -- and they're not cheap!

rawkguitarist and RICFREAK like this.
  7. grausch

grausch Member

Great guitar. I have owned a FRM 100 now for about a year and it still gets lots of playtime. Own some more expensive guitars and it really compares well to those in terms of playability. Very comfortable to play both sitting and standing. Pickups sound great too.

I wish Ibanez would make a Prestige version of this guitar.

8. sedawkgrep

Wow I thought this *was* a Prestige model.

9. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

Love my FRM100. Huge neck, great neck joint, looks super funky and vibrates like crazy. I would like to replace the tuners with locking drop ins but not sure what fill fit right in.

10. grausch

grausch Member

There are some very limited editions that sold for insane money, but the regular FRMs are made in China.

I replaced mine with a set of Gotoh locking tuners. They use the same foorptrint so no drilling required. I believe these were the ones I ordered - https://www.g-jax.com/global/machineheads/rotomatic-for-guitars/sg381

11. ixnay

ixnay Member

It would be nice if they made something like this in between the Chinese version and the $7999 version. I've never had much luck with MII or MIC Ibanez, but I'd think about checking one of these out if they made an appropriately priced Prestige version.

sedawkgrep, rawkguitarist and grausch like this.
  12. EtaCarinae

EtaCarinae Member

The fatter neck Ibanez sticks out in the range a bit. That said, Paul Gilbert has quite sizeable hands with long fingers. I would expect what's comfortable for him to be rather different than what it is for most people.

rawkguitarist likes this.
  13. grausch

grausch Member

Agreed. My MIC Ibanez is pretty decent, but it would be nice to have a pickguard that is cleanly cut. I would gladly shell out more for a Prestige version of any of the FRMs.

sedawkgrep likes this.
  14. sedawkgrep

OMFG I just saw that the PGM version is $8k. That's just crazy. Like so far out you're orbiting Neptune crazy. It's almost as if they don't want to be bothered building them.

rawkguitarist likes this.
  15. jerrycampbell

jerrycampbell Member

I didn't figure out until watching a Paul Gilbert video last week that the Fireman is an upside down Iceman.

16. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I don't think its just because I'm a huge Gilbert fan - I think the Fireman's are great. I don't want to ruin it for everyone... BUT you have to admit that horn is rather "penis like". :D

The korina ones are definitely my favorite version - not that korina is so rare, its just not extremely common on guitars. And its a beautiful wood that's supposed to be very akin to mahogany. BUT... they are dang expensive! Yeah, a mid level J-Craft/Prestige model would be a great addition. I have a MIJ Prestige PGM301 that is a great guitar - on the level of Suhr.

The Fireman (opposite of Iceman) name and whimsical design is completely Paul Gilbert. He's a very creative standout among the shred crowd he's known to be a part of. I contend that's why he's still really successful where some of those guy's aren't. You'll see time and again "he's a super cool guy" too. I can say for a fact he is. I've met him on a few occasions and take lessons from him online. He's always down to earth and really nice.

grausch likes this.
  17. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Lucky... :cool:

18. JulienVD

JulienVD Member

I've got a Chinese Fr100 on my lap right now.
    The thing I like the least about is is probably the pickups. Never swaped them out for something else. I enjoy the neck and the overall playability. Sometimes I think of changing the pickups, then I decide I'd rather sell it as it is, then I keep it. Hardly ever gets out of the house, but I do enjoy practicing on it these days.

19. tesiswitch

tesiswitch Member

I've been using a Fireman as one of my main guitars for years. The tone is incredible. It definitely doesn't feel like an Ibanez neck, but it's still a very comfortable playing surface. The pickups are really versatile.

grausch likes this.
  20. grausch

grausch Member

I quite like the pickups, but I play hard rock almost exclusively - cleans aren’t very important to me!:p

I have loads of other guitars that may have their pickups changed, but never considered it for this one. I am however considering replacing the rest of the electronics. They are still working so haven’t felt the urgent need to do this yet.