Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz replacement?

Magi

I just got this fuzz in today off evil bay. And after 5 minutes of bliss, the foot switch craps out on me. I understand that this is a known issue, so I'm leery of getting another one.

Any replacement suggestions??

Also, the lowest fuzz setting was my favorite. It had this distortion like chug as well as with this octavey thing that was just awesome. I probably would have liked the other settings too given more time to dial out the ice pick. :dunno

cubistguitar

Its a variant on the Shin-ei/Univox fuzzes, like the Superfuzz, try a clone of the Superfuzz like a Wattson or a Fredric effects. My Basic Audio Zippy gets real close too, its a Superfuzz-like fuzz too. I like the FZ7, nice sizzly version of the classic tones. You may find these other creations less ice picky, the Zippy has the ice pick dialed out.

Magi

Thanks. I looked at the zippy a few months ago, but I'm on the list for a PTD pedal and will probably get the BMGTx. So, I feel like the zippy would be redundant. Maybe I'll try to get a superfuzz variant. Or bite the bullet and try another FZ7. I really wish it was more stable.

AXXA

Silver Supporting Member
Get a boss FZ-2. Or any other superfuzz clone

Zippy is not redundant with the PTD stuff at all btw. Totally different. I don't think it sounds very superfuzz like either, more like the Companion

Snare227

If this pedal is bliss for you... I'd just put a new switch in it or upgrade to a better switching mechanism.

If this pedal is bliss for you... I'd just put a new switch in it or upgrade to a better switching mechanism.
This. I believe the layout to the 7 series is not super different from the Soundtanks. I got a couple Soundtanks with footswitch problems recently, shelled out a dollar for two capacitors at Radio Shack and twenty minutes later: no more problems.

Followed the instructions here, which may or may not work for the FZ-7: http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/fix-for-dodgey-footswitch-on-soundtank-pedals-131744.html

Magi

Cool. I may look into updating the switch. I have another question though. Is the FZ7 just an entry level version of the old Ibanez Standard Fuzz? I"ve seen some variants of that pedal out and about.

cubistguitar

Ibanez Standard is another Shin-ei/Univox variation. All Ibanez fuzzes are based on the Standard fuzz which is part of the same family as the Superfuzz etc. the whole tonelok line is kinda entry level gear, but some of them sound really killer. The delay is a fave of many folks, the TS gets a little love and the lofi pedal is a unique cheap tone destroyer.

Magi

Thanks man. Just ordered an Ibanez Standard clone built by Jimmy Behan from ebay. *Fingers crossed* Now maybe I won't have to pony up for that DAM Meathead Deluxe I was considering.

Trending Topics