Ibanez JEM value??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by kodecar, Apr 24, 2008.

1. kodecar

kodecar Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Spotted this on Craig's List locally. Not really my thing (anymore) but seems like a great deal.

Any speculation as to what these are really worth? Supposed to be in perfect condition.

2. Ayrton

Ayrton Member

That is a Chinese made fake, and has zero value.

3. kodecar

kodecar Member

How can I tell if it is a fake? What to I look for?

4. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member

The easiest way to spot a fake Jem is that the handle cutout on the Chinese copy...is actually an outline of dead chairman Mao's colon.

5. kodecar

kodecar Member

Looks more like something that came out of Chairman Mao's colon.

But really...

6. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

I for one thinks that is a fake, do proceed with caution.

Firstly the original came with Green knobs and not Pink knobs in the picture.

Secondly original jem777dy's have inlays marking the 24th fret...which is missing from the picture of the jem777dy on craigslist.

Thirdly the headstock logo seems to be overdone, an original jem77dy would have the word "Jem" in pink. It looks like it's black in the picture and oversized.

Chi-Banez guiars have been coming out quite strongly in recent years, but so far I've never come across a copy of a jem777dy.

The original 777dy is the most widely produced jem after the jem77fp floral pattern guitar, I believe it was released sometime in 1987 together with the LNG (Loch ness green) And he SK (Shocking pink) jems. The first jems put out by ibanez.

I've owned about 5 jems so far. I was quite the jem freak a long time ago...I have since sold off all of them. The old ones if you can get them are really great shred type guitars. The new ones imho leave much to be desired, quality control is total shite right now as well.

Take a look at detailed pics of the original here...
    http://www.jemsite.com/jem/model/jem777dy.htm

7. cube

cube Member

there are no scallops on the 4 high fret as there should be

8. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

9. auraelux

auraelux Member

The abscence of the scalloped frets at frets 21-24 is a dead giveaway. I love the JEM models, but steer clear of this one.

10. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I used to have one of those.
    The neck doesn't look right; personally, I'd pass...

jb

11. guitarnyc

guitarnyc Member

Great guitars if you can find an original...the "lion's claw" isn't cut out correctly either (area behind the trem)....I think that is what they call it ???

12. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Another thing I just noticed...

Jem pink control knobs/switch tips were never the exact same color as the pickup covers. The knobs/switch tips in pink were always a shade darker than the pickup covers.

Jems are the Steve Vai signature models made by Ibanez. :)

13. kodecar

kodecar Member

Damn it to hell...:BITCH

14. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

shape of trem baseplate is a dead giveaway.

those slant angles on the baseplate and in the trem cavity are obviously not for an edge trem.

15. Voiceofasoul

Voiceofasoul Member

Are all JEM's scalloped on the highest 4 frets?? I've seen a few newer models that weren't but they damn-sure looked and sounded like the real deal.

16. ToneZappa

ToneZappa Member

ITS FAKE.............. I have my Ibanez JEM 777DY right next to me now. The guitar in your photo has the top position markers missing, no scalloped top frets, the scratch plate is the wrong shape, the knobs and P/U selector are the wrong colour, the P/Us look a funny colour as well. I can,t really see the trem but it looks a different shape.

Heres a photo of my JEMs http://cdn2.soundclick.com/20/ImgPagesBG/0/4/member_4058550.jpg?version=142
    A JEM 7RB and JEM 777DY the yellow one has the palm rest which is very rare. Its been taken off the one in the photo and put on another guitar (you can see a black dot each side of the trem where part of it rests on the guitar body)

These two guitars have earnt there keep (Road/Studio) and never failed me apart from the whammy bar snapping mid whammy........It was horrible it was one of those eyes closed head back moments then snap... I didn,t know what had happend at first.!!!...............

17. Roodboy

Roodboy Supporting Member

Not all have the scalloped frets up top 4 . My Jem DBK doesn't.

18. kodecar

kodecar Member

Once again the old adage proves out, "if something seems to good to be true, it probably is".

I was just hoping for a '59 Les Paul under Grandma's bed to a lesser extent.

FWIW, I have an original ('89 I believe) JEM77FP. I really just wanted this to flip and buy another amp.:AOK

19. cajunboy2k

cajunboy2k Member

20. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Correct, well according to Vai and Ibanez, with the addition of the All Access Neck Joint the need for the scalloped last 4 frets has been eliminated. I believe only the jems with the block heel joint has scalloped last 4 frets.