Ibanez John Scofield - anyone have one??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by paulscape, Feb 26, 2012.

1. paulscape

paulscape Member

I might be able to trade with a friend who has a couple of nice MIJ guitars including a John Scofield jazz hollow body and a delicious Orville Les Paul. The Orville Les Paul is amazing and I will definately take that off his hands but the Scofield has also piqued my interest. It has an amazing flame finish and a boost switch but not sure if that's stock or not? I think it is from the 1980's but could be from the 90's. The Orville is from 1986.

I can't seem to find much information on the Ibanez and there is only a handful of listings on ebay. It plays real nice and is set up more for jazz but a pickup swap could make it more versatile. I'm wondering if I should get it or save a few more coins for a real Gibson 335.

Any experience with this guitar?

2. ThePenwellCrash

ThePenwellCrash Supporting Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Scofields guitar is a Ibanez AS-200 from 1980? Anyways, the didn't start calling those "Scofield" models until they re-released them much later. I played my uncles '80 AS-200 which turned me on to how amazing they are. Since then I bought a '81 AS-50 and '81 AS-100. All of those guitars are amazing. The necks and bodies are very comfortable and they sound amazing. If your friends AS-200 has the original Ibanez PU's, those are some unique PU's that some people really like - but any humbuckers you throw in should sound good/great because of the quality of the guitars build.

IMO, Ibanez in Japan was making better instruments than Gibson in the US during the late 70's - early 80's. I've compared these guitars against modern Gibson ES-335's and my '81 Ibanez has stayed on top

3. paulscape

paulscape Member

My friends Ibanez is definately an AS-200, not the newer official signature models. I think it maybe a 90's model judging by the tight pronounced horizontal flame finish, headstock shape and knobs but I need to re-check it as I didn't get any photos of it. The Ibanez has a small piece of the finish chipped off around the input jack but otherwise has a lot of naturally aged mojo. From what Im trying to read on these the pickups are likely super 58's and the very early ones used super 70's? The Orvillle is even better. It has a thick dark orange brown flame and worn laquer.

4. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

I had an 83 AS200 for years. Great guitar, probably the only guitar I ever sold that I would happily take back. The reason I got rid of it was to force myself to stop playing and sounding so much like Scofield. ;)

5. balde

balde Member

I played some and it´s a wonderful guitar!

6. ManliusGuitar

ManliusGuitar Member

Fantastic guitars - my brother has had one for years and it is a real treat to mess around with! I wouldn't be suprised if you ended up liking more than the Orville...

7. silky_sam

silky_sam Gold Supporting Member

Thnx so much.....really a problem for me

regards,

J.S. ;)

I've been using my AS 200 since '81 and wouldn't be without it....amazing instrument.

8. BEACHBUM

BEACHBUM Member

I've had my AM205 which is the downsized version of the AS200 since it was new. These guitars were made by "Hoshino Gakki" of Japan and are some of the finest production semi hollows ever made bar none. Put simply, for craftsmanship and quality of materials Gibson never has and still does not make a 335/339 that can compare to these 80's Ibanez models. If I was forced to choose between my AM205 and my Gibson ES137 Custom ($2800) I'd toss the Gibson out the window and never look back. That's how good these old Ibanez guitars are.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. speyfly

speyfly Member

^ Man BB, I love that guitar...

10. paulscape

paulscape Member

I'm thinking about the Ibanez a lot more and the flame on the Orville is just photo finish. I have a few Les Pauls but not a ES335 type of guitar.

So it seems like the early 80's one's are especially good, what about the 90's when I believe this one is from?

11. BEACHBUM

BEACHBUM Member

Thanks. She's been my main axe for a lot of years. Could never part with her.

12. GarMan

GarMan Supporting Member

I have never been a big fan of the 335, but the Ibanez Scofield model is big exception. Most of the 335s I have played sound dead to me? I know there are special ones out there. However, I have played two Scofields in shops before, both were really great sounding and just comfortable. The neck has a great curve to it. I would buy one.

13. BEACHBUM

BEACHBUM Member

They are all great. I also own a new Japanese made Yamaha SA2200 and a Gretsch Tennessee Rose. From the late 70's on through to the present the higher end Japanese guitars have been superb. As far as the AS200 in particular goes whether it's 80's or 90's makes no difference. They all had the same high standard of quality throughout the production run life span.

Oh, by the way. You might want to check out this link. Lots of good Ibanez info there.

http://www.ibanezcollectors.com/

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  14. paulscape

paulscape Member

Thanks for the info man - now I have to hope he's truly interested in what I have to trade!

15. tamader74

tamader74 Supporting Member

One of my old bass players has one from '81, I have made some post on that 'git, and all I can say is.....He had better not forget it and leave it here overnite, I will develop amnesia as to where it went!!!....

16. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Supporting Member

I have an '82 Ibanez AM50 I absolutely love -- and it's basically the "no-frills" model of that series. I think many would agree that *ALL* of the smaller, semi-hollow Ibanez guitars of that era are great playing, wonderfully sounding instruments.

17. paulscape

paulscape Member

Had a chance to play the AS200 today through an amp and it sounds and plays really nice. Everything works and the neck is fantastic. My friend is happy to trade for what I have (a completely opposite style heavy metal flying V!). I'll post some pics soon. Serial number starts F00 so I think thats Fujigen factory made in 2000. Appreciate all the help from this thread!

18. paulscape

paulscape Member

Here she is... Will pick her up tomorrow!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. BEACHBUM

BEACHBUM Member

Beautiful and Congrats. You're gonna love owning and playing that guitar.

20. paulscape

paulscape Member

Thanks man - appreciate your input and beautiful photos you added to this thread. They are great guitars for sure,