Ibanez/Maxon Sonic Distortion: How different than a DS-1 or a Rat?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Slideman, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Slideman

Slideman Member

I've been interested in one of these for awhile, also knowing that the Maxon version has true bypass and considered a bit smoother than the Ibanez version.

But what's the sonic/tone differences between this type of distortion and a Boss DS-1 or your typical Rat circuit. Very curious, as I already own both of these, but never tried the SD-9?

2. 4styx

4styx Member

I have all three.The SD-9 is my favourite by far.Really well blended dist and it cuts through amazingly well.More old school than the other two.

3. Franklin

Franklin Member

I too love my SD9. It is really a tube screamer with more gain, I think of it as 2 tube screamers together...

4. Zero

Zero Member

I tried one years ago and I remember having to crank the level knob to have the effect "ON" even come close to the bypassed volume(effect "OFF"). It may not have even been as loud as bypassed either. Salesman said they were known for that. Which wouldn't be all that bad if it were to be used to add to an amp that was already distorting somewhat.

5. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

much different than a RaT IMO

I had a Maxon SD-9 with the Analogman 808 mod. it is more like a higher gain TS pedal. I also found mine to be bright with my rig. it sounded best when dialed with tone back to around 9 o'clock or almost completely off.

in comparison, the rat has much more distortion available on tap, and can even get into fuzzlike territory at higher settings.

6. Lance

Lance Member

This was my experience as well. The Maxon just seemed waaaay too brite for me, with the tone on anything above 2-3. Great pedal though. I've never tried a Rat, but I do have a Boss Super Overdrive. I feel it's just an apple : orange thing. It works better for some things, and not as well for other rigs.

7. Franklin

Franklin Member

The stock SD9's tone knob is useless. Most people keep it all the way counterclockwise.

8. Slideman

Slideman Member

That's sort of like the tone knob on my DS-1 too.

Has anyone ever compared those two? Are they similar or different alltogether?