Ibanez Neck swaps

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by vashuba, May 7, 2016.

1. vashuba

vashuba Supporting Member

I posted in Jemsite, but haven't got any responses so maybe someone here will now.

So this guitar has razor blades for frets, i had the guitar setup, but still they tear into your skin after 30 minutes, where as my Fenders, i can play for hours, no prob.

To re-fret the guitar is gonna be $200 on the low side, so maybe i can just swap the neck?

I have the ibanez RG series guitar, will any RG neck swap on? Its a wizard 3 neck profile, so will a wizard 2 fit?

thanks

2. cardinal

cardinal Supporting Member

Just sharp fret ends? That shouldn't be anywhere near a $200 job to smooth those out.

Ive swapped a few Ibanez necks. At least with the 7 strings, the necks have gotten wider over time, and the Indonesian spec necks are different from the Japanese spec necks, even if they appear to have the same width.

R3deemed likes this.
  3. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

I think addressing the frets is the easiest/cheapest way to go IMO.

4. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

You can fix the neck you have with an emory board and some masking tape.

[​IMG]

5. vashuba

vashuba Supporting Member

i filed down the sides that were sticking out, they are cheap jumbo frets. I think all my the other guitars are close to medium jumbo.

6. Ape Factory

Ape Factory Member

There are numerous Ibanez guitars that'll swap necks between one and other. I put an RG Prestige neck on an S series. You need to make sure the heels are the same width. Best place to see different neck widths is here: http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_neck_types

With that said, everyone else is right, it'll be far less expensive to have a qualified tech or luthier do a fret job. If you go with a different neck, find a Prestige neck as they're usually pretty spot-on with great fretwork and feel.

7. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member