IBANEZ OVERDRIVE - OD850 - Wolf in sheep's clothing????

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fieldsroyal, Feb 9, 2008.

1. fieldsroyal

fieldsroyal Member

Hi;
    I recently purchased a near mint Ibanez overdrive (except for AC power mod!) - It's nothing at all like an "overdrive" - It sounds to me like a Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream era Big Muff - very powerful yet articulate - real wall of sound stuff. - It also brings to mind the old Bowie song "Heroes"
    Does anyone know anything about the circuit of this pedal - would its age (1978) suggest it might be based on the early Muffs (Triangele/Rams Head?)

Thanks. :BEER

2. dividedsky

dividedsky Supporting Member

Yeah it's definitely based on the muff and I've heard it called a straight clone but it was a little different than any muff I've ever played. Definitely a cool box.

3. steve7950

steve7950 Member

4. fieldsroyal

fieldsroyal Member

Awesome pedal Steve - mine's a different model - it's the orange box that only says "Overdrive" in space invaders lettering - with "Ibanez" in script lettering. - I assume they're very closely related however.

5. gold_soundz

gold_soundz Member

The OD850 is one of the best big muffs I've heard. The one I saw was for sale for £250.

6. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member