Ibanez Prestige AZ HSS (AZ2204)

Discussion in 'Reviews of Electric Guitars' started by CapnRex, Mar 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. kebotrans

kebotrans Gold Supporting Member

2. Meetballed

Meetballed Member

Those bright colours make it look like toys. I mean their fine on its own but they don’t look good against that shiny white pick guard and dark roasted neck. They need like black gloss body with gold hardware imo. But yea it’s just taste honestly

3. hitchcockblonde

hitchcockblonde Supporting Member

Old thread, but I received a gold one in a trade Friday. After two rehearsals, my impressions are identical to yours, word for word. It’s my first Ibanez in years (after a ‘80 Iceman I bought to flip ages ago) so I probably come from a different direction than you, but arrived at the same place.

I got it as a replacement for a Tom Anderson Classic S. I loved the Anderson but it had been ordered by someone who’d wanted their biggest neck, and it was all single-coils. It did what it did beautifully so I just sold it rather than start swapping pickups.

The bridge, tuners, fretwork, and overall vibe of the Ibanez are very similar to that Anderson. I’ve never touched a Suhr, but I’m guessing there’s another similarity. I don’t think there’s anything the Ibanez offers that TAG doesn’t, in terms of quality and versatility (I prefer the VA boost on the latter over the Ibanez switching) and I prefer to support smaller domestic builders, but someone wanted what I was trading, and it’s tough to find a TAG with a humbucker in the bridge for under $2200. This Ibanez was in new condition with the plastic film, papers, original strings, etc and in a cool color and I’m quite satisfied. I assume Suhr and Anderson have gone over these with magnifying glasses.

CapnRex likes this.
  4. CapnRex

CapnRex Member

Glad you're happy!

I'm back into digging mine but I do want to change up the pickguard someday still.

5. hitchcockblonde

hitchcockblonde Supporting Member

I think the kind of mild mannered humbucker is a brilliant match for the single coils btw. The HSS guitars I’ve tried we’re kinda Jekyll and Hyde, while this one works as a bigger and deeper complement to the single coils, with the same overall character. I had a guitar with a Bare Knuckles Aftermath, and this is nothing like that, but it’s kind of an inspired choice for what this guitar is designed to do. I really am impressed with the thought they clearly put into the AZ line.

CapnRex likes this.
  6. Rouge Delta

Rouge Delta Member

I think that the output on the Hyperions easily one step above a PAF and at least a step below the BK Aftermaths, maybe two. But the tone is more on par with an Aftermath than a PAF...great mids, well balanced, but not nearly as compressed. Very open and airy. They take well to overdrive and mellow distortion pedals, and I can make them work with my Boss Metal Zone if I'm careful...maybe up to 12 o'clock on the distortion knob at the most, and probably more like 11 o'clock.

Not a doom metal guitar, but it can play pop metal just fine..."radio metal" or "chick metal."

Mine is a Premium. I don't like the steel sustain block and titanium saddle combo (on the Prestige) because I don't like a harsh attack, and avoid it at all costs. Personal preference, that's all. The zinc sustain block and steel saddles (on the Premium) are what I prefer.

The only tuning issues that I have are related to trem bar usage. If I'm not doing whammy dives, that thing is rock solid as far as tuning stability is concerned.

Every time I pick it up, the neck profile makes me cringe because I have nothing else like it. But then I start playing and I'm like, "Hey, that's pretty nice!" Every time.

-R.D.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  7. Golem

Golem Silver Supporting Member

I have one of the dual humbucker versions of the AZ prestige. With the 10s on, the guitar definitely has more tension than any other guitar that I have. I keep it like that as it's nice to have something that feels and responds differently. It's really versatile. I absolutely love the look and feel. For my personal preferences, it's better than any Suhr or Anderson I've yet tried (I've tried two of each brand). The only thing I'd change is the locking tuners. I want something that's easier to lock than this style of Gotohs.

8. CapnRex

CapnRex Member

Lol yea it's really the worst locking style I have seen. The ones on my fender elite are just so much simpler and faster.

9. Daniel Travis

Daniel Travis Supporting Member

I actually like the color. It's...different?

Unfortunately I just don't like ibanez necks from the mid 80's until now.

Those old destroyer and iceman necks were rad though.