Ibanez Prestige Series shredders

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jzucker, Apr 21, 2016.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Can someone give me an overview? Looking at something along the lines of a rg770 or S5521Q.

Is the new stuff as good as the older stuff?

2. broken_sound

broken_sound Silver Supporting Member

I owned a Prestige RGA121VLF (lower line prestige) for a good while and it was one of the fastest playing guitars I've ever held. The V7 & V8 pickups are phenomenal and the body resonates very well considering the thinness of the neck and being a bolt on.

jzucker likes this.
  3. jzucker

there are a dizzying amount of prestige and RG series guitars on reverb and ebay. Hard to know which are any good...I'm looking for something good for fusion stuff. Don't know if I want a floyd but i guess most of them have one.

4. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

5. jzucker

also, are most of them pretty light weigh? Looking for something around 7lbs...

6. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

I've been wanting to check one of these out which isn't even a Prestige series.
    Sfogli sure makes it sing.

jzucker likes this.
  7. lowyaw

lowyaw Member

Prestige means different fret edge treatment and sort of a little more attention to detail at QC stage.

I've got two, 2008 RGA121 hardtail and 2005 RGT220 neck through w/Edge Pro. Good guitars. The quality is on par with any 2K guitar. Good, stable superstrats. RGA (mahogany body / maple cap) is kind of Les Paul'ish sounding, a little clearer and snappier, and unlike LPs, is a joy to play :p When I played covers, worked great in many styles. RGA model is / was very popular with djent players, dude from Periphery played one for some time. RGT is sort of Jem / Washburn N4 kind of vibe. Edge Pro is a good trem, too. I keep this one stock with DM/IBZ pickups, no need to change. RGA's stock V7-V8 are pretty cool too, but a little more "linear' sounding then most DiMarzios I've tried.

Oldschool59 likes this.
  8. Buzzard Luck

Buzzard Luck Member

Ibanez Prestige guitars are truly great. a notable step above. I was a doubter, until last year. After owning and playing several dozens of all the best electric guitars over the last few decades , my experience with the Ibanez prestige line was minimal. I got one in a trade for a Carvin Holdsworth, just for fun. I'll be darned if I wasn't totally pleased, and that guitar really grew on me. Not only was the fretwork flawless, the tone and response which impressed me from day one just got better and better the more I gave it some attention. 'All basswood guitars with Floyd roses sound the same.' - non, no, they don't. This prestige is a vibrant, excellent professional guitar, and really does hang with any other high end guitar available.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    shane8 likes this.
  9. lowyaw

lowyaw Member

Just in order to avoid confusion - Ibanez also runs "Premium" line, which is a more affordable Made in Indonesia guitar, as opposed to "Prestige", which is a MIJ (Fujigen) product

10. Buzzard Luck

Buzzard Luck Member

Oops sorry, Prestige all the way . J custom shop. Fixed.

11. guitarspaz

guitarspaz Member

My take on it is the prestige is basically what the RG series used to be in the 80's. Back then the standard off the shelf ibanez line was made in Japan at the Fujigen plant and was made well. You could get a 500 series or for a little more trim step up to the 700 series. Both were excellent well made guitars. Now the RG's are made elsewhere and are not the guitars the used to be. If you want the same quality you used to get with any off the shelf ibanez you have to step up to one made at the Fujigen plant i.e. Prestige.

12. Buzzard Luck

Buzzard Luck Member

I don't agree. I played plenty of fine RGs back in the day. The Prestige line is a large step above. Do you own any Prestige guitars?

13. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Totally agree, the Prestige series is way better than the RG of old, and they were good too.

14. jzucker

15. Oldschool59

Oldschool59 Member

I agree. I have an RGT220A, an amazing guitar for the price. I actually use it more than my other (better) guitars. It is my practice axe (both amplified and unplugged). The wizard neck is quasi-flat, fast and perfect. It is a super stable rock/metal guitar, impeccable fretwork, the stock Dimarzio/IBZ pickups do a great job, the 5-way switch is well thought-out, the Edge Pro never needs any work. The MIJ Prestige line is a simply outstanding, a very good value. I only played an RG back in the 80's-90's, don't really remember how it was relative to today's Prestige, but I would be very surprised if the RGT220A was in any way inferior. Quite the opposite.

lowyaw likes this.
  16. lowyaw

lowyaw Member

you're going to have more input over at www.jemsite.com
    other that that, ibanez wizard necks, both with tytanium rods and more traditional 5 pc ones, are very stable. you won't have to worry about them shifting and/or dead spots, definitely less than you would about any other brand. however, there were slight changes to neck profiles / thickness that could influence your opinion about how a neck would feel.

jzucker likes this.
  17. HTSMetal

HTSMetal Member

I had a MIJ Prestige RG1570. The stock pickups (v7, s1, v8) were better than the Dimarzio's I threw in it shortly after I got it, which was surprising to me. Other than that, it was a piece of junk. Bad, buzzy, uneven jumbo frets and an Edge Pro trem that would NEVER stay in tune, no matter how many times and ways I set it up. If I breathed on it the wrong way it'd go out of whack.

I thought it was crazy that I needed to do a "locking stud mod" on a $1,000 guitar to make it stay in tune, so I sold it. It was the only guitar I've ever purchased that left me profoundly disappointed, as I loved Ibanez and many of their cheaper offerings up to that point.

18. s2y

s2y Member

I wish they still made the really nice flamed/quilted ones just like this. I played a few that were outstanding.

Blix likes this.
  19. jzucker

20. guitarspaz

guitarspaz Member

No, can't say I do but I still own and play my RG560 from 89'. I spent what the guitar is worth on the used market for a refret a few years ago ha-ha. Prestige may be a step above. I have played them and thought they were great guitars. I guess what I was trying to get across was back in the late 80's at least, and probably some before and after that, all but the very lowest tier Ibanez's were made in Japan and were made well. Now, not the case. You have to step up to a Prestige. I have not kept up with Ibanez's line much in the last 10 years. They may offer other Japanese made models other than the Prestige. My point is, you cannot just grab any Ibanez off the shelf and count on it being a solid, well made instrument. You could back in the day. I have not been impressed with Ibanez's made other than in Japan models.