• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Ibanez Super 58's Vs Lollar Imperials?

Hello!

Has anyone here had the chance to compare these pickups againist eachother. I have an 82 ibanez am-205 that I adore, but i've always been curious to how a set of lollar imperials would compare to the vintage super 58's I currently have in it.

Thanks!

Mpcoluv

I personally hae never liked the Super '58s. Believe me I have tried. I love the Ibanez AM series.
Most any good PAF type would be better to my ears. Duncan Pearly Gates and Jazz neck would be my
mid priced pick.

pbmw

It's a personal taste thing.
I have a set of 58's in an AF125 and love them.

Carabinerx

I think the 58 in the neck of my ibanez am is amazing, but the bridge had to go....win some lose some. Never played a lollar, sorry I cant help.

swiveltung

Here's my limited help. My memory is from a few years back; The Lollars were cleaner, brighter. The 58's were funkier, warmer.

zztomato

I like the super 58's. I've had a few as-200's over the years and have always like the sound and response. It depends on what you are after. The Imperials are nice as well but will be a little more aggressive, fatter, edgier compared to the 58's. I imagine the 58's to be closer to Lollar's low wind imperial.

MartinPiana

Silver Supporting Member
I saw John Scofield at club date a few years ago with a black AS200 and asked him about it during the break. He was trying out some Voodoo pickups and didn't want to mess with the originals is his main axe, a 1981 AS200 burst with, I believe, Super 58s. ...

Point is, good enough for Scofield after all these years.... although even he gets curious about how other pups would sound.

cutaway

it really depends on what you play them in, too. you can't just pop a pair of either in X guitar and expect them to sound the same. pickups pickup string vibration created by what the guitar gives off. if a pickup created its own signature tone, we'd all just buy a pair of top shelf pickups and stick them in a $200 guitar