Ibanez Super 70 pickups

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by the russ, Sep 16, 2010.

1. the russ

the russ Member

In this thread we will talk about Ibanez Super 70 pickups. I acquired my first pair in an Ibanez LP Custom I bought last year. I am super impressed with them. They almost have a P90 quality to them. Beautiful midrange, and snarly while still being warm.

You can find these on the used market, but as time goes on they will get relatively more and more scarce. Are there any pickups out there currently in production that nail the sound of the Super 70?

The Seth Lover and Duncan 59 are two pickups that I've owned that on paper, would seem to do the same sort of thing. I hear a huge difference though.

2. Taller

Taller Silver Supporting Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    Are these the ones with the 'Flying Finger' stamped onto the covers?
    I've got a pair from my '77 (8?) Iceman floating around here somewhere.

3. Snottyboy

Snottyboy Member

I'd like to know more, too. I have one (bridge) that I have been planning on putting in my Iceman for some time. Still undecided as to what to pair it with in the neck position. The Super 70 uses an Alnico 8 magnet, does it not?

4. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

I made a Tele/Gibb in the mid to late '80s and I specifically ordered a Super 70 to use as the neck pickup. It was the clearest brightest neck humbucker I could find. It was perfect, very similar to a minihum but maybe a little more output.

5. just_one_more

just_one_more Member

I really like the super 70s. I have heard from some hardcore Ibanez people that they are AVIII mags in the 70s. Alnico 5 in the 58s. For all around use I really like the 58s too. Ibanez did really well with both these pickups. I think the closest thing to super 70 now would be taking a SD 59 or similar and changing the mag to AVIII. This is a total guess, but that would be where I would start if I was trying to emulate them.

6. larimar

larimar Member

I always keep an eye out for "vintage" Ibanez/Maxon pickups. E-bay is a good place to look. My last score was a set of Maxon humbuckers from 73' for around $22 shipped. My online research indicates that they are basically Super 70's before they were called Super 70's. Nice sounding pickups.

GtrGeorge! likes this.
  7. Snottyboy

Snottyboy Member

I think I once saw a spec chart on the 58s that said they use an Alnico 3 magnet. Can anyone verify? Interested because I have them in my AR-105AV. Regardless, they are really good pickups.

8. just_one_more

just_one_more Member

Another good source is guitars beater loaded with them. I got a be!t up Ibanez roadsterII with super 58 gold covers I had been looking for for a while. When all was said and done the pickups ended up being free. The on-line vintage catalogs are a good resource as they all you to see what pickups are (or should be loaded). The other Japanese brands from that era can have them too as mentioned, but that requires more knowledge to learn what is what.

9. chucke99

chucke99 Member

Those would be Super 80s. They are brighter than the Super 70s. Both rock, though.

10. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

I don't know...... I had a few Ibanez guitars I bought in the late 70's including a LP I still have. Never really cared for those pickups much and always changed them out for a more PAF sounding humbucker. Can't really remember how they sounded except my LP and 335 Ibanezes didn't sound like LP's and 335's until I got rid of those Super 70's.

At the time it was sort of an accepted practice that the first thing most people did with those guitars is swap all the electronics out. Of course, I swapped a lot of pickups on Gibson's of that era too. I also, swapped the BW grill cloth on my late 60's Marshall 4x12 to "Kiss Approved" black so I make no assurances on my actual perspective at the time. :D

11. Marshall Man

Marshall Man Member

I picked up an 82 Ibanez Artist AR-30 last month that was only built for 82-83 real cheap that has the 70's in them. No complaints on the PuPs from me, they are real nice sounding reminding me of a Dimarzio SD from that era.

12. dunara

dunara Member

In my experience, Super 70s sound nice, but are more microphonic than many people would like. Super 80s are far less so, but the high output of these pickups may not be to everyone's taste. If you avoid high volumes and high gains, Super 70s are very good. Here's a vid of me using an Antoria (badged Ibanez) Custom Agent with Super 70 pickups. I don't have the guitar any more, by the way - this is the only vid left....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGu4rAK5WFM

13. xray

xray Gold Supporting Member

14. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

My personal preference remains the Super 58s, though I wouldn't kick either of the other two out of a guitar. But you probably have as much experience with these pickups as anyone (if I recall your collection of Ibanez accurately <G>) -- what are your favorites? And what do you see as the differences?

15. just_one_more

just_one_more Member

That was actually a brain fart on my part. They are indeed A3. Here is one of those vintage ibanez catalogs mentioned earlier, and it says A3 in the super 58.
    http://s93105080.onlinehome.us/Ibanez-Catalogs/catalog/1983-84r/20.jpg

16. just_one_more

just_one_more Member

17. chucke99

chucke99 Member

The only guitar I have with Super 58's is a new Artcore with new S58 Customs, not the classic 1980s S58's, so I can't really comment on them. I have a number of guitars with the Super 80s in them, and just love them. They have their own sound that you can really pick out of a tune when you hear it. Listen to the main rhythm guitar in Steve Miller's "Jungle Love". That's the Super 80 sound. I played my Artist 2622 last night at a gig and it's just got that hard rock (bordering on metal) sound.

Super 70s are more subtle to my ears. More defined, and while they also work well for hard rock, they absolutely excel at Blues. You can get that "ring like a bell" humbucker sound from them running straight into a nice little tube amp. Just a beautiful sound.

A variant on the Super 80 is the Super 88, which is found in the Musician guitars of 1978 through 1980. It's got a sound somewhere in between a Super 70 and Super 80. Again, you can get that "ring like a bell" sound very easily, but then you also have all the split-coil possibilities (humbucker, single coil, out-of-phase humbucker).

18. Snottyboy

Snottyboy Member

19. Arcane-Inc

Arcane-Inc Member

The guys at Majik Box also make a version of the Super 70&#8217;s and even some variations on that theme. Some of the guys that work there are former Ibanez employees.

http://www.majikboxusa.com/pickups.html

20. VHS analog

VHS analog Member

I think Smits does a hand wound version of the Super 70s.