• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Ibanez Talman models?

CanuckChris

Maybe I've been watching too many Yvette Young and Ichika Nito videos, but the Ibanez Talman has me intrigued. I'm especially interested in the tele styled ones. I've never fully gotten on with tele bodies due to the lack of contours. This seems like a good alternative (I'm sure to the horror of many TGP'ers). Of course, they don't make them currently in this style. I'm finding it a bit confusing with Ibanez's naming convention to know what to search for. Any help there?

Is there a website somewhere that goes a bit more in depth as to the various years and models of Talmans? They seem to be well regarded but on the used market, I've noticed prices are all over the map likely reflecting the build specs. Using a measure I'm more familiar with, I'm not sure what is a "Squier Bullet" vs. "American Original" when it comes to the Talman models (i.e. is a specific model low or high end).

Silver

I think the Tele styles fell under the 'TM' prefix. The older 90s models started with TC or TV. I think you can gauge the level of them by the amount of numbers in the model name. With those newer ones at least. Three numbers (ie; TM303M) = China or Indo. Four numbers = MIJ/Prestige. Have a look here. Shame they discontinued them. I lusted badly after a TM1803M but never got the cash together;

mustard

Maybe I've been watching too many Yvette Young and Ichika Nito videos, but the Ibanez Talman has me intrigued. I'm especially interested in the tele styled ones. I've never fully gotten on with tele bodies due to the lack of contours. This seems like a good alternative (I'm sure to the horror of many TGP'ers). Of course, they don't make them currently in this style. I'm finding it a bit confusing with Ibanez's naming convention to know what to search for. Any help there?

Is there a website somewhere that goes a bit more in depth as to the various years and models of Talmans? They seem to be well regarded but on the used market, I've noticed prices are all over the map likely reflecting the build specs. Using a measure I'm more familiar with, I'm not sure what is a "Squier Bullet" vs. "American Original" when it comes to the Talman models (i.e. is a specific model low or high end).
I cannot offer too much insight, but will say that all (or virtually all) of the highest-end Talmans were made in Japan, and have serial numbers preceded by a capital letter "F", for "Fujigen". I know that is probably something you already know, but it is a good starting point. There are some early Japanese Talmans that might have had cheaper hardware, as well as the new-ish "J-Line" series with similar cost-cutting measures, but I do not believe you can go wrong with a Fujigen-manufactured Talman.

CanuckChris

Excellent! The thumbnail photos are very useful.

I cannot offer too much insight, but will say that all (or virtually all) of the highest-end Talmans were made in Japan, and have serial numbers preceded by a capital letter "F", for "Fujigen". I know that is probably something you already know, but it is a good starting point. There are some early Japanese Talmans that might have had cheaper hardware, as well as the new-ish "J-Line" series with similar cost-cutting measures, but I do not believe you can go wrong with a Fujigen-manufactured Talman.
Nope, did not know this about the serial numbers, good to know.

detroiter711

Currently, there is only one model in production and that is for the Japanese market only.

Top Bottom