Ibanez Talman?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by scottcw, Aug 4, 2006.

1. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Saw one of these at the local used instrument store today. Some really nice ideas, but hard to tell about long term quality.

Love the straight string pull headstock, I rarely see that on higher end guitars. The trem looked pretty cheap, not sure about the tuners. I did a little research and discovered that the P90s are likely Kent Armstrongs, nice.

Can anyone with experience tell me what to look for? how is the tone on these guitars? how is the long term quality of the trem, tuners, neck, etc.? Thanks.

2. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

i use to have one with 3 lipstick pickups, it was a fun guitar never had any problems with it. tom morello of rage has toured with one for years. i wish i would have never sold that guitar.

3. Garrett Bagby

Garrett Bagby Member

I fell in love with the Talman when I saw an ad for them in the first Guitar magazine that I bought.

The first couple of years turned out to be the worst of the bunch. I bought one of the originals (lipstick pups) from the first year, 1993. The body is a composite called "resoncast" that actually feels and sounds great and the neck has a birdseye veneer.

They started using normal body woods and quit veneering the neck in about 96 I think. That's when they started putting humbuckers and P-90's in them. These are the better quality ones.

I've had a real love/hate relationship with mine, but I couldn't bear to part with it. This is the guitar I had when I got serious about playing and I played it an average of about 4 hours a day for a year until I graduated to a Strat. They do hold up well. The veneer is beginning to flake at the headstock on mine, but that won't be a problem with one of the later models.

The bad: The electronics were crap; I had them replaced. The bridge is awful--no--the WORST, but the newer bridges like you saw have to be better.

The good: Armstrong pickups are nice, great Gotoh tuning keys. With the right setup, they're excellent guitars to play. The neck feels great, and the all-access neck joint is sweet. It also makes for a killer slide guitar.

The other good thing: They're CHEAP to buy now.

Here are a couple pics of mine. Let me know if you have any questions about them. They're a guilty pleasure of mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

I had two of the P90-equipped Talmans for a couple years - one Japanese one and one made in Korea. I actually prefered the Korean one, which had the same hardware but was made from real wood, as opposed to the Japanese "resoncast" body. Great guitars - typical Ibanez quality, which is to say "good". I don't see any reason these guitars wouldn't last as long as the early Fenders have...

5. suttree

suttree Member

i have a more recent talman, semi hollow in baby blue, i swapped out the pickups and electronics (prs dragons), and had my local tech cut me a new nut and level the frets. it's a great little guitar now, and i'm under $500 into it.

6. Andy J.

Andy J. Member

I've got a MIJ Talman, the TC-825. It's got an alder body, I believe, finished in blue sparkle, and a Bigsby. It's definitely a looker! I bought mine used, and the previous owner had been kind enough to replace the stock "Super 58" PU's with SD '59's. The pots and switch, along with the nut, had also been replaced, and with these mods it is one truly awesome guitar!

7. onemind

onemind Member

I had an older MIJ with the lipstick tube pickups, it was a great 'twang' guitar. I sold it to a friend, and eventually regretted it. I recently inquired about it. Turns out he was using it in the studio and the engineer created a feedback loop in the cue mix and his headphones started to howl, in his haste to remove them quickly he threw the guitar about thirty feet....It is now a 'repaired' Talman, the body nearly split in half. That said if you don't plan on using it for long toss, I think it's a great guitar. Tough to fine the MIJ's though the later Korean ones are much more common (and not as nice IMHO)

jrcorp likes this.
  8. rorschah

rorschah Member

How do you teld the MIK's from the MIJ's?

-thi

9. WordMan

WordMan Member

...and how would you describe the neck grip? Slim and fast like most Ibanez Artists I've played, or are they (or can they) be chunky?

oh, and onemind? Bummer - good story, but bad price to pay to get it.

10. onemind

onemind Member

I'd buy another one in a heartbeat, TC630 Japanese in Sunburst if anyone has a spare

11. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

For the Talmans made in the mid-late '90s, the MiJ's will have a serial number that starts with "F" and the MiK's will have a serial number that starts with a "C".

As far as neck shape is concerned, if memory serves mine had a pretty generic D shape - far more conventional than the typical "Wizard" shred neck, but still not what I would call "large".

12. Fripperton

Fripperton Member

13. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

Onemind: That guy would be on my permanent ****-list.

14. Andy J.

Andy J. Member

Mine actually says "japan" under the serial number... And yes, the neck is pretty skinny to my hands, but not flat and wide like the shredder's Ibanezes.

15. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Member

I'd rather have a busted guitar than busted eardrums, but 30 ft. is a bit overkill.

16. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

17. joefender

joefender Member

Mine's a '94. One of the resincast bodies. I had a new pickguard made to replace the beat-up red pearl that came with it. The neck is slightly on the narrow side but a very slick feeling "D" shape. The lipstick pickups are great.

[​IMG]

18. Andy J.

Andy J. Member

That tortoise 'guard looks lots better than the stock red pearloid ones!

19. joefender

joefender Member

Thanks AJ. I thought so too. Besides the red one was scratched up real bad. I bought the material from Warmoth and had Chandler Pickguards cut it for me. They were a bit pricey but did a real nice job. I even had enough left over to make a truss rod cover from the same material.

20. Andy J.

Andy J. Member

Oh, didn't even realize from the photo, that's cool!