ibanez ts 808: new vs old?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by neve1073, Feb 22, 2006.

1. neve1073

neve1073 Member

i'm using an original ts808 in my board on gigs with a particular band and it is just the sound for this band. i'm worried that if something in the pedal fails ona gig I'll be scewed so I'm going to go check out a reissue.

How are the reissues? Do they sound in the ballpark? I've never played one.

2. eric-d

eric-d Member

They're great... I have one (and the Maxon OD-808)... If I really wanted to get anal, I'd send it to analog.man for his mods, but to me it's close enough.... I A/B'd the Maxon OD-808 and TS-808 RI, and they sound identical to me.
    [​IMG]

3. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I love the reissue, even though I never hardly plug it in anymore.. I have TIM, and TIMMY to keep me busy. But the TS808 Reissue is a fine tool, and it also doesn't kill your tone when bypassed, it has a good buffer.

Shane Pasqualla
    WET ANIMAL
    http://www.wetanimal.net
    http://www.phensic.com

4. billygoat

billygoat Member

The fulldriveII in vintage mode sounds almost identical. I just replaced my seriously beat ts-808 on my board. The eq is very different though. The original has more range.

5. eric-d

eric-d Member

No offense, but I'd rather run two 808's than a Fulldrive.... The FDII just didn't do it for me....

6. Franklin

Franklin Member

7. billygoat

billygoat Member

Dude, in a blindfold test, I don't think I could tell my ts-808 from my fdII if set to sound the same. Bear in mind, I've had this ts-808 for 15 years. The fd II stands up. It may not be as cool to own one anymore, but it's a good sounding ts for sure

8. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

I just picked up a reissue ts-808 here on the board and it is awesome. I had a maxon one some time ago and it just didn't bond with me. I use the pedal with my Blues Jr. just to take to jams and it works great with my R6 Les Paul. I've been thinking about getting the silver mod to it to take out some of the mids, maybe that would help so that I can run it with my 50 watt El 34 head through a 15 cab. Lots of lows in that rig and the extra mids kind of screw with the sound.

9. mmorse

mmorse Member

I have a Keeley modded TS808 reissue. Keeley changes out some stuff to match the original and I opted for the old TI chip that went into the original. Sounds like an original TS to me.

10. neve1073

neve1073 Member

I've seen the keeley mods advertised. Do his mods make the RI sound more or less like the original? I like the original...I wouldn't want to change it...especially the over-hyped mids!

Thanks for the replies. I went to GC today but they were out of stock. Based on the positive reviews I may just go ahead and buy one off ebay.

11. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER

I found I preferred TI chips versus the JRCs in originals that I used to own and sold working in guitar stores over the years but then again I've moved away from Tubescreamers altogether now so I guess I'm just not really a TS guy.

From what I can tell doing a bit of reading, Analogman uses JRC4558D chips and Keeley TI4558Ps. I guess they both have their own take on which original TS configuration they prefer so there's another variable for you!!

12. kikujiro0208

kikujiro0208 Member

I have tested the below 3 pedals:
    * TS808RI (Ibanez)
    * TS9RI (Ibanez)
    * OD808 (Maxon)
    I am into a warm and creamy sound and without modding the pedals, and therefore my preference goes to the TS808RI.
    After the (IC chip and output) mods, my preference goes to the TS9RI.
    I have no experience with the Maxon OD9 or other related pedals...
    Regards,

13. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

Should check the emporium here, there are a lot of them for sale this week, for whomever it was that said they were gonna check ebay. I just bought mine last week and got a better deal than a lot of the ones on Ebay. Great pedal, I had the Maxon 808 and it wasn't as cool, one of those it sounds great in the store, but then I take it home and it is a different story.

14. Don L

Don L Member

I've heard they sound the same, but never tried the new ones because I have an original one and an old silverbox FD2 that covers all the TS tone I'd ever need.