Ibanez TS-9 not turning on

How

Silver Supporting Member
Tried the obvious, new battery, power pack. Anything on these known for breaking? thanks.

Alchemy Audio

Remove the mounting screw inside which secures the circuit board. Check the circuit board for cracks. This is a common issue. Use care when re-fastening not to over-tighten.

stinkfoot

First off, does it work in bypass mode? If it's completely dead, it's most likely a power issue. If you have sound in bypass, but it just refuses to switch over, I agree the switch itself should be the first thing to inspect. You can verify that the switching circuit works by quickly and temporarily shorting out the two wires on the back of that small circuit board that holds the switch (in the battery compartment, under the foam). If you can make it turn on/off by shorting the wires, something's up with the switch itself or (as Johnny/Alchemy Audio mentioned) the circuit board.

I've only had one TS-9 on the bench where the circuit board itself was damaged, but on that one I simply moved the wires to the correct lugs (rather than use the flat soldering surfaces in the middle), and moved on :)

How

Silver Supporting Member
First off, does it work in bypass mode? If it's completely dead, it's most likely a power issue. If you have sound in bypass, but it just refuses to switch over, I agree the switch itself should be the first thing to inspect. You can verify that the switching circuit works by quickly and temporarily shorting out the two wires on the back of that small circuit board that holds the switch (in the battery compartment, under the foam). If you can make it turn on/off by shorting the wires, something's up with the switch itself or (as Johnny/Alchemy Audio mentioned) the circuit board.

I've only had one TS-9 on the bench where the circuit board itself was damaged, but on that one I simply moved the wires to the correct lugs (rather than use the flat soldering surfaces in the middle), and moved on :)

It is the switch. Turns on/off when shorted. Where can I buy a switch? Thank everyone for your help.

How

Silver Supporting Member

stinkfoot

If the switch itself (once you pull the small circuit board out) is all black and can be taken apart by gently pulling on the part where the spring is seated, it's an original. If the switch looks like the ones in the link, it's a newer one.

The switch has four "claws" that snap it into place, and are then soldered on the back of the circuit board. Normally, the wires are soldered to pads on the back of the circuit board (which then connect via traces to the correct "claws"). With the replacement, though, you may have to solder the wires straight to where the claws are soldered (one each side, diagonally).

Stressfest

Buy her dinner.. tell her she's a lovely shade of green and hint in a round about way about that mid hump you've heard about.. maybe she'll show you. ;)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom