Ibenez guitar and Hammer on Technique, HELP

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by kimos55, Jan 2, 2008.

1. kimos55

kimos55 Follow your dreams turst your heart Silver Supporting Member

I need help here. For the last 20 years I have been a Strat Les Paul Guitar Player. Lately I been working on some Steve Vai, Joe Satriani type licks. The problem I am running in to is; On my les paul it seems that I am not getting enough of a note ring with my Hammer on's. I was thinking that maybe I should get a Ibenez guitar. Or what? Is it my technique? I have well over 20 years of playing. Thanks for any help I can get here

2. Thwap

Thwap Member

It's most likely not the guitar, as I play Ibanez, Les pauls, and strats.

It's more likely the amount of gain you're using. If you're looking for that smooth, fat flowing legato....the gain/overdrive is where you'll find it.

3. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

What he said.

4. jcoggins7

jcoggins7 Member

^^What they said.^^

5. The Captain

The Captain Member

What they said, but fret size does have some influence here.
    Big fat jumbo frets are an advantage for hammer-ons and other legato wirk as well as tapping etc, as is a fingerboard that flows down a little at the bridge end to allow a close action without fretting out.
    "Shredder" or pointy headstock models (ESP, Ibanez, Jackson), so openly despised, will often give you a better set-up to make it a little easier.

6. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I'll go against the grain and say it's more about technique. A smooth flowing legato sound can be had on a clean guitar or acoustic. Imo, it's good practice that gets you there. Not a ton of gain.