IBM vs. iBook for Protool

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by hiftbso, Aug 23, 2006.

1. hiftbso

hiftbso Member

I'm getting a laptop before I move and can't decide if I want an Apple or IBM/IBM clone. The studio I will be working in has a nice Protools HD rig and I want to be able to fly files back and forth ie record drums on the big system transfer the tracks and tool around with guitars and other stuff on my own. I have not used protools much but know most people perfer the macs. I found an iBook that looks like what I need for $1300 but I can get a similar IBM for $800. So my question is does protools run better on a mac or enough to make it worth the extra $500 to get the mac?

2. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

If you can afford to pony up a bit more for a MacBook ($1099), you won't even have to decide PC vs. Mac... you can run both Windows and Mac. I'm using one right now at work and it's pretty sweet (though the MacBook Pro is even nicer- for a price). Either way, it smokes my 3 year old PowerBook G4.

3. hiftbso

hiftbso Member

The iBook for $1100 does not have a dvd burner and that is a must for me so $1300 is the cheapest Mac I would consider.

4. stlmatt

stlmatt Member

I picked up a usb dvd burner for nothing, thats no reason to not get a better experience with a pc, via a mac.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1272493&CatId=483

that one is $59

you can get a firewire dvd dual layer that will smoke anything installed in your computer for $100-$150

I think the mac os is a more stable environment for running protools in general, but I think its even better when your using the machine for home use as well as a music computer.

5. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

On a well thought out and set up computer it is a non-issue knowadays. BTW, most of the HD rigs I see getting built now are XP platforms.

Go with what you're already comfortable with but the bottom line is don't skimp on performance.

Get the highest performance CPU you can afford and deck it out with plenty of memory.

You really can't do all that much with a marginal performance PC.

6. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

No.

7. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I think I read a while ago that if you don't have the Superdrive in the laptop, you can't use iDVD and the iLife stuff with the external burner... that may have changed (it was when I got my PowerBook about 3 years ago that I read that) or there may be ways around it... Just something to consider.

8. hiftbso

hiftbso Member

Is there a min CPU speed or RAM (512, 1Gig, 2Gig) anyone would suggest. Also a daul core system seems like it would be a good improvment, any thoughts?

9. karmadave

karmadave Member

For ProTools I wouldn't even consider anything but a Mac. The MacBook is nice. If you can afford to step up to the MacBook Pro, it's got a bigger screen and better keyboard. If I was building a professional ProTools system, I'd go with the new Mac Pro. PC's will work, but they simply aren't worth the additional hassle IMHO...

-KD

10. karmadave

karmadave Member

I believe all the new Macs come with a minimum of 512MB RAM. It'd upgrade to at least 1GB. 2GB is even better. Protools can generally benefit from more RAM, since you can run more plug-ins. The new dual-core CPU's allow more processes to run at the same time. Basically, instead of simply having one faster engine, you have two engines running different tasks simultaneously. The MacOS is sophisticated enough to ensure that both processors are used in the most effectient way possible. Both Intel and AMD have decided to focus on power-efficient, multi-core CPU designs instead of raw clock-speed.

-KD

11. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

What additional hastle? Please explain?

You install the hardware and the application and it's up and running.

It's utter fiction that Mac's run PT better than PC's knowadays.

12. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

Definitely 2 gig RAM is a good startpoint. What's your pricepoint?

13. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I've got 2 512 sticks in my Powerbook... if I ever upgrade to a MacBook or MacBook Pro, how many slots does it have? Would it even be worth it because by the point when I can afford one, they'll be putting 1GB and 2GB sticks in each slot, huh?

The PowerBook is getting sent back to Apple, though... bad logic board (only sees 1/2 the RAM- this was a big problem when it was only one stick in there and it couldn't find it = no computer. I got another one and they replaced one, but now the problem is back), screen lit unevenly, latch thinks I wake it up from sleep while in the case and runs down the whole battery, which doesn't last more than an hour and a half with wifi on.... it's also kinda warped, which might be why it doesn't close, needs a new power jack (I can't even unplug this stupid old-design plug) and the bottom/left rivet/screw thing on the screen panel is loose... Maybe they'll just send me a MacBook Pro, as the Powerbook is 3 years old and there's only one 15.2" monitor being made today...

I am curious about the revived iPod cellphone buzz for the holiday season (did it ever go away?)... My iPod is having the battery replaced (lasts about 2 hours only IMMEDIATELY after charging for 6 hours- can't hold a charge at all) for $30 shipping thanks to some class action lawsuit in CA (wish I just chose the $50 check option so I could have bought a higher capacity battery for $50 and put it in myself!).

14. hiftbso

hiftbso Member

$1200 or less, I plan on doing all my serious recording in the studio (I'm not really into "home recoring") but I just want to be able to take and transport tracks and maybe work on alt. mixes on the go.

15. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

What OS are you already comfortable working with?

16. hiftbso

hiftbso Member

I'm used to PC but I'm new to protools either way. The system I will have to intergrate with is a Mac so is it easier to for the Mac to talk to another mac or does it matter?

17. karmadave

karmadave Member

gainiac. I'm not going to get into (yet) another debate on Mac vs. PC. Whatever works best for you is the right choice. I have both types and for music-related stuff, I prefer the Mac's no hassle plug and play. IMHO Apple does a better job of integrating media rich features into it's hardware and OS. Again, if a PC is right for you than that's totally cool...

-KD

18. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

All I'm saying, in my experience (and I've built thousands of PC's from desktops to DAW's, to Enterprise servers, to SANS etc...), is that on a properly configured XP based machine their aren't any plug -n- play hassles.

Knowadays, most if not all plug -n- play hassles are due to improperly coded (Manufacturer's) drivers.

To say that MAC is still somehow superior in this regard is pure fallacy.

Other than that I completely agree with you, no need to argue or debate and no personal offense intended.

One thing that I do see all the time is that this kind of disinformation tends to be spread about by completely entrenched MAC users.

I can understand and empathize, switching OS's can be intimidating and frustrating for most people especially if you're not knowledgeable of the underlying machines basic principles of operation.

The bottom line is your options and performance at a given pricepoint are far greater in the XP/PC realm than the current MAC realm.

With that being said I think the most important thing for the average user is to go with the OS they are currently most comfortable with.

Anyhow,

A couple of years ago when Digi first ported PT to XP I was horrified!

Digi's initial implementation of PT onto XP was an albatross and entirely their fault. It essentially showcased (in bad light!) the ad hoc generational coding that had gone into the product up until that time.

They've since done an admirable job cleaning it up, althought their installation procedures are still shite and some of their drivers are still not MS certified for full compatability. Their is no excuse for that considering the current version numbers.

19. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

It doesn't matter.

BTW you mentioned you'd like to use this machine for mixing as well as tracking correct?

Exactly what kind of "mixing" are you seeking to accomplish?

The reason I'm asking is that I'd say $1200 is a bit skimpy for a machine you plan to mix on ( with my definition of "mix" in mind) simply because this is when track count goes up and plugins start to get employed both of which start to eat up processing power and memory fast.

20. karmadave

karmadave Member

You seem to be extremely knowledgable about this stuff. I'm sure Digi's implementation of PT for XP has come along way. What do you see happening, in PC-land, when Vista finally ships?

-KD