1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

IC swap for the Timmy?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by trumpus, Oct 10, 2006.

1. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

Hey,

Wondering if anyone has tried any other IC chips in their Timmy? I'm wondering if an IC swap might take a little of the harsh edge off?

Anyone tried anything in particular and how did that change the tone?

Brian

2. erksin

erksin Member

Realfi should chime in here - I think he uses an LM1458 and asymetrical clipping mode in his to smooth it out some. Have you tried the dip switches first..?

3. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I do indeed!

I find that combo works great for me. I tried a Burr-Brown op amp recently and tried the original JRC4559 chip back in the pedal but I still like LM1458/asymmetrical with the Vox and the Teles. The LM1458 removes just a little bit of harshness while the asymmetrical clipping seems to mimic the clipping of my AC30 turned up a bit louder.

I should mention my Timmy is pre the recent mods that Paul did that brought it closer to the sound of the TIM.

Even though I had Paul make me a TIM that can get the asymmetrical clipping sound, I'm actually preferring it in the least compressed mode with the stock JRC4559 as it's just a little smoother than the Timmy anyway.

4. chrisr0712

chrisr0712 Member

I liked the LM1458 better also....then tried the Brown - Burr OPA. So far the Burr is my favorite. The changes are not night and day, but it is smoother and sits better in my rig. It's definitely worth the time and a few $

5. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

Where did you guys get the Bur Brown OPA chips?

Realfi - how did you go about having Paul make a TIm that has the option for asymmetric clipping? Was it extra cost? Was the wait longer? I'm currently waiting for my Tim, which should be ready any day - is this something I can call Paul about and possibly have him mod this into it now or does it require a lot of additional work?

Brian

6. Stoney Stomp

Stoney Stomp Member

also use the LM1458 in assymetrical mode. LOVE it :)

7. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

Me too.

A

8. dosmun

dosmun Member

I used a RC4558 in my TIM to knock of the Sterile high end that my amp seems to bring out of pedals.

9. brads

brads Member

Where can one buy an LM1458? How are they installed?

Thanks

10. Stoney Stomp

Stoney Stomp Member

11. asdf

asdf Member

Yet another vote for the LM1458 with asym. clipping. I tried the Burr Brown but it just didn't do it for me- LM1458 is still my favorite.

12. 69strat

69strat Member

Ok, so I ordered the chip. I chose to pay by check and I cant find the address anywhere on the websight!!!

13. Thazy

Thazy Member

I've got some 1458's on the way but, I was going to try them in different pedals. Might have to put one in my Timmy instead. Question, how should the switches be set for assy. clipping? Thanks.

14. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

One up one down.

Doesn't make a difference which one is up or down if you're using the Timmy on its own but may in combination with another pedal so experiment.

15. Thazy

Thazy Member

Thanks Realfi. Always good to talk tone with you.

16. Grant Ferstat

Cheers! I always like to talk about Paul's creations.

17. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

For you all using the 1458 chip/assymtrcl, what amp are you using?

I've got a DC-30 that the timmy does seem too harsh with, but it's still stock. i've got a 1458, so i'll probably try that out soon.

18. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Yup. Like it much more than the 1458, has a cooler character to me...