I'd like an opinion on this mix..

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by codyprang, Jan 9, 2008.

1. codyprang

codyprang Member

This is a hard rock band I recorded, and I'd like to know what you guys think of this mix. I don't have the mp3 hosted, but I can point you towards their myspace. It's http://www.myspace.com/theweatherlight

I've been recording for a little over year now, and I need some advice. I used a Presonus Firepod, AKG D112 on the kick, 57 on the snare, Audio Technica AT3035 for an overhead (it's all I had!), and practically radioshack mics on the toms. I realize that this isn't the best recording, and it doesn't really compare to a lot of others, but I'd like some advice. Anything constructive criticism would be appreciated! Thanks so much.

P.S. I'm pretty sure most of the drummers cymbals were cracked.. lol

2. scottlr

scottlr Member

Not bad, really. I'm an old fart, and I don't care for the devil voice bit, especially with such nice other vocals. The drums might be a little hot in the mix. If you turn it down low, they are all you hear mostly. If you mix so that when you turn down low you can still hear most everything, that would be better. But it's not bad at all imho. A pro mastering would make a huge difference, too.

3. codyprang

codyprang Member

I appreciate the advice a lot. I'm not a huge fan of screaming either..

This song was recorded in the summer, so hopefully ill be able to post an mp3 of the latest stuff I've done.

I did notice that the drums were a little loud. Ill definitely try to turn the mix down low so that I can hear everything. Thanks so much.

Please, if anyone else has any suggestions, please post them.

4. Finaldo

Finaldo Member

This sounds good man! I'd probably buy a CD of this band. I do dig screamy vocals, and this girl has a good "present" voice on the other parts, her voice is pretty full IMHO. I do agree the drums might be a little loud, and the beginning of the song is a little long before the vocals kick in, I thought. That has nothing to do with the mix though.

I'd like to hear the girl do the screamy vocals. Not many women can pull that off, besides the singers from Otep, and oddly enough, Flyleaf.