• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

I'd like to take this moment to thank Robert Keeley

Brian Gilmour

Yeah I had Keeley’s Luna Overdrive which was the first pedal I owned with a bright blue LED.

Buffalo-Fx has the best idea. All of their pedals have a trimpot to adjust the brightness of the LED.

Here’s my solution I brought up a couple of years ago on a similar thread. It works really well for MXR pedals. LEGO light pieces. I’ve glued a extra piece from a scooter tail light on my UniVibe which has a very bright white LED.

M

Member 14465

This isn't a practical solution for most manufacturers, but for DIY people making your own pedals or if you can get access to the overly-bright LED in your 'commercial' pedal, try roughening up the surface of the LED evenly with some fine sandpaper; with a bit of care you effectively increase the light dispersion + make the 'lense' more opaque, changing the LED from 'retina-burning' to 'easily seen glow'. Changing the viewing angle / dispersion also means you can see the bloody thing without standing over the top of it. Cheap, easy and well-worth a try.

Telefunky

Thanks OP for "shining the light" if you will, on this because it's maddening and completely stupid.

Super bright LED's exemplify what I call "backwards problem solving".
The problem: standard LED's can't be seen outdoors on sunny days. Solution: Super-bright LED's on all pedals.
Problem solved, except for one thing; 95% of the time the pedals are being used indoors, at night. DOH!

Nice. You managed to solve a 5% problem by creating a 95% problem. (people used to get fired for that kind of thing, btw)
Now I have to carry scissors and surgical tape in various colors everywhere. (I'll get to that)

As most of you know, a decent pedalboard represents a considerable investment, rivaling the cost of many guitars and amps. If you don't believe it, grab a calculator and start adding everything, including the board itself, the case, power supplies, custom cables, pedals etc... you'll be shocked. I refuse to do mine because I'll throw up.

It drives me nuts to look down and see a bunch of ugly, mismatched tape pieces all over the place. So I'm always looking for high quality, non-residue leaving tapes in various colors in order to more accurately match the color of each pedal. If you have a lot of pedals, we're talking about an entire drawer full of stupid colored tapes. And they're not cheap either.

Thank you super-bright LED guys for creating another needless pain in the @$$.

J Dog

^^^halarious^^^
I recently got a Wampler Tape Echo...tap tempo/ sub divisions etc. In a dimly lit room, when I'm finally there, me and my guitar are one! I look down and think I'm getting pulled over...buzz kill.

snow and steel

Silver Supporting Member
If your board isn't tilted at your face it really shouldn't be a huge issue, and when playing outside or in the direct sunlight you will appreciate those bright LED's.

I remember gigging a TS9 many years ago during an outdoor show - I was going to start a clean song at the start of a set and instead got this super loud distorted tone. I was pretty embarrassed while the two other guys stared at me thinking {rightfully]] "what the hell are you doing?" and it honestly took me a couple seconds to figure out my TS9 was on. I MUCH prefer bright LED's now, for that one experience alone.

J.Eric B

I can see my carbon copy from space, it took 3 layers of painters tape to dim it enough. I’ve a couple Keeley’s and their pretty bright too, not even close to to the CC though. This kind of stuff is what we in the south call, high grass problems.

bastian

Yeah I had Keeley’s Luna Overdrive which was the first pedal I owned with a bright blue LED.

Buffalo-Fx has the best idea. All of their pedals have a trimpot to adjust the brightness of the LED.

Here’s my solution I brought up a couple of years ago on a similar thread. It works really well for MXR pedals. LEGO light pieces. I’ve glued a extra piece from a scooter tail light on my UniVibe which has a very bright white LED.

Awesome! Lego + Pedals.

Naigewron

None of my pedals have annoyingly bright on/off LEDs, thankfully.

HOWEVER: My MXR Custom Badass Modified Overdrive has a button to toggle on/off a mid bump, and the super-duper bright blue LED indicating whether it's on or off is not only blinding, but it stays on even if the pedal is switched off.

sportycliff

Tape a piece of neutral grey gel over the led.
Cheap, keeps the correct color, cheap, disposable, cheap, easy to replace, cheap...

ChampReverb

Gold Supporting Member
They are really coded signals to our alien overlords. Do not play outdoors unless you enjoy the occasional deep probe from the greys.

My biggest complaint is having to scrub the burn marks off the ceiling.

-bEn r.

Top Bottom