1. mbratch

mbratch Member

[FONT=Verdana, Arial]I have an old OT that has the following markings:

TO-2003

Any idea what vintage this is and specs?

Added a couple of pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [/FONT]

2. mbratch

mbratch Member

Someone in another forum suggested this is a Todd Electric transformer. Was Fender known to use these? I found a reference that suggests they were used in Ampeg amps.

3. mbratch

mbratch Member

Still looking for some input on this if anyone knows. I think it's a Todd Electric OT, and that they were used in Ampeg amps at one time.

However, the date code doesn't make sense to me: 9263137. If that's a date code, that would mean 1931. I don't think so.

4. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

I have no idea from those numbers. Total guess TO = Transformer, Output. 2003 = 20W with 3 output leads.[FONT=Verdana, Arial] 9263137[/FONT] = 1963, day 137??

You should be able to determine turns ratio with some testing. You can generally determine power capability by the weight. :) You can generally determine the vintage by what materials were used for the wires. You can also generally tell whether its an output vs power transformer by the overall design.

I guess what i'm saying is post a picture.

5. mbratch

mbratch Member

Added a couple of pics to my original post.

I do know it's an output transformer. And I pulled it from a working 70's SFPR, so it works in that amp (and nicely I might add, I think it's better than the stock OT). I was just trying to figure out where it came from and what the specs might be. Wires are plastic (of some kind) insulation.

6. mbratch

mbratch Member

7. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

1960-1970s, specs are probably 7-10Watts. I don't think you have anything special there my friend. You can calculate the impedance ratio by plugging the primary into your wall outlet and measuring the voltages of the secondary. This is mildly dangerous if you don't know what you're doing so don't attempt if not 100% comfortable.

Its colour coded like a power transformer, btw.

8. mbratch

mbratch Member

Thanks, that's interesting.

I wasn't necessarily hoping for a gold mine, just wanted to know more about it. All I know is what you see, plus the fact I pulled it out of the OT position of a SFPR I bought, and it worked great. It has a little more headroom perhaps than the stock OT. So I'm not sure about the 10 Watt limit. PT maybe...

Not sure I want to plug it into a wall outlet unless I know it can handle 110V.

9. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

In what way? It follows output transformer color coding, and it has wires more like an output transformer. A lot of output transformers have blue & brown as the outside with red as the center tap of the primary. Secondary is usually black and a second color, usually specifying a specific output impedance. Nothing I see shows the wiring color code as a power transformer.

As far as wattage or anything else goes, the best thing to do if you really want the specifics is to take it to someone who understands how to test a transformer and have them test it for you. They can tell you exactly what it is capable of, much better than people guessing by the size or the numbers.

10. mbratch

mbratch Member

Thanks Adam.

I really wasn't hoping to count on guesses, but more hoping perhaps someone here was already familiar with these and could tell me some specifics (being that there are a couple of members here who have been around the block a few times more than I have w.r.t. this sort of stuff). I can certainly take it somewhere and get it tested in absence of that scenario. :)