Idea for the delay spillover fans

micycle

I don't even care about delay spillover as much as I used to - I'm more of a 1 patch dude these days. But I was thinking, why not just allow an option for delay/reverb to be global and separate from patch changes altogether? I'm thinking along the lines of the global reverb level option in the BOSS GT pedals.. but way more functional - like selecting your desired delay/verb type and parameters in the global menu. Or does someone already do this?

micycle

There's global delay/spillover in the GT100? I thought for some reason that wasn't an option (outside of global level), I had a 100 for a couple of years. Goes to show you how long it has been since I've paid attention to that kind of thing!

Digital Igloo

True preset spillover only exists in the DigiTech GSP1101, and then only with their special FW.

Global reverb and delay is pretty simple to accomplish, especially if your reverbs and delays are somewhat clean and generic. It's less cool if you have notably disparate reverbs and delays, so I'm not the biggest fan of that particular solution.

We've designed a pretty cool method of spillover—and have built Helix's architecture to accommodate it and lots of other future possibilities—but again, we can't promise anything, and you should always buy a box based on its current capabilities, not what you hope might be implemented later. Currently, any spillover will need to be accomplished within a preset with bypass trails.

lp_bruce

Silver Supporting Member
True preset spillover only exists in the DigiTech GSP1101, and then only with their special FW.
Hmmm. I believe the GT-10 had delay spillover. It's not something I've ever used (because i'm a one patch per song kind of guy) and I don't miss it at all on the GT-100.

Peace,

shawnshack

If you really want to have a spillover option, just program two amps within a single scene. Set them up mono and program both of them to a single footswitch. Hitting the switch will turn one amp off and other on. If you want the delay to switch off, program it to the switch too. You can accomplish this in the HD500.

Rewolf

I had delay and reverb preset spill-over on a Rocktron Replifex so it is nothing like a new idea, but that implementation and I expect that of many other units that "support" this feature are seriously flawed.

What you actually got was that the buffer for the delay and reverb effects was retained when the patch was switched so whatever was being delayed continued but using the new patch settings, so a 1/4th delay trail jumped to 1/16th and the reverb from room to cathedral when true spill-over would continue at 1/4 and room while anything played new got 1/16 and cathedral. It worked great if both patches had same settings such as 1/4 delay and room, not so good when the settings were different.

In the line 6 units such as HD500 and presumably Helix it is much more complicated because you have Delay with Modulation and very long lasting Particle Verb which would sound completely rubbish unless the original settings and any subsequent effects are retained. The obvious way to achieve this with preset switching is to have everything from the old preset after the first with trails effect retained in memory and consuming DSP while the new patch is loaded and trying to occupy the same memory. Without a large amount of redundancy in the hardware this is not possible.

Or you have both patches simultaneously in one Patch and switch between them as has been suggested many times as the most practical option, and with multiple paths, 4 amps and 32 effects the Helix can probably do this trick as long as each path is not that complicated.

If Line 6 have a method that will allow true spillover between completely different patches that can be added to the Helix without any compromise then colour me impressed

Trending Topics