Idea of how fulltone '69 sounds opposed to Sunface?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by StompBoxBlues, Sep 28, 2006.

1. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Just wondering, I have a chance to grab a use Fulltone '69 (I'm getting ALL fuzzy lately...been playing with the Sunface, love it, BYOC Fuzz clone, ALSO love it, and some of my older ones) and I am REALLY curious if anyone can tell me how it differs in sound, etc, from say the Sunface?

I'm not asking for a preferance, but just using the Sunface as a reference point, is the '69 more (full in the blank) ?? How does the sound, and tweakability of the '69 compare?

Kinda need to either jump on this or lose it...so the quicker the better with responses :BEER

2. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

the '69 is more of a distortion with the bias and contour knobs, where as the Sunface is a straight up early Hendrix germanium fuzz face.

3. Lund

Lund Member

well i have a 69 clone... not exactly the same but anyway.

it has a lot more adjustability.

like you can get the type of sound you would normally get by rolling the volume on the guitar down, by adjusting the pedal (kind of presetting it) so eventhough your guitar is on full, it gets that sound.

it also controls the tone more... bas treble contour thing....

so... thats nice, but in a way i feel that it takes away from whats great in a fuzz... that its so simple and its all in the volumecontrol on the guitar.

some might really like the options you get, but i find the the sweet spot on the fuzz and leave it there... so i have no need for adjusting it all the time - that all happens on the guitar.

If i have a fuzz thats to bassy or trebly, i much prefer to play mess around with the input and output caps until its right - it is really such a simple circuit.

So.... in conclusion... if you like to tweak on the fuzz a lot, and want many fuzz tones in one pedal - get it.

if you like to find a good fuzztone, and then its set and forget and use your guitar for all tweaking, i would go for a sunface or something like that - a traditional type fuzz.

I normally use a modded fuzzface myself... but like my 69 clone.

Michael

4. shakti

shakti Member

I owned a '69 several years ago. I've had an NKT Sunface for something like 3 or 4 years now, mine is pre-"less bass".

IMHO, there was no contest. While I didn't A/B them, there was no going back after the Sunface. Oodles more gain, but every bit as much clarity, yet warmer and not as brittle as the '69. The '69 did have a nice basic tone and did clean up quite well, but was kind of weak compared to the Sunface.

As for tweakability, the '69 may be better, but don't forget the Sunface has a bias knob to adjust for temperature changes or allow you to set it for more "fart" or more "clean", as well as an imput impedance adjustment (internal) which can be used as a pre-set "roll-off", i.e. the sound you get with the guitar's volume knob rolled back.

I personally wouldn't have bothered with the '69.

5. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

The Sunface is definitely warmer than the '69. And it has a bit more gain than the '69, and gets that wooly sorta Hendrix thing when you max the volume on your guitar, while still cleaning up real well when you roll back on the volume.

6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Thanks so much guys for the quick responses! Really appreciate it.

Lund, that sounds pretty cool actually...being able to kind of "preset" the pedal as if the guitar vol was backed off a little bit, and I am kinda drawn to having at least one fuzz that gives me a little EQ possibilities (though I have also found using a real EQ pedal after the fuzz...or before, can really add a lot of possibilities...put them in the first loop in my looper (so they go after my TB wah that has the fox retrofit) together....I can really get good adjustments...but anyway

Shakti, I know from experience that I respect your views on pedals, etc...but you know how GAS can get you, so you'd sell your mothers' paisley shawl, for a new aquisition :) I hear you, and it definitely helped me to haggle (thinking...okay, if he won't go for a lesser price, I'll live without it) so your advice at least dampened my lust for new fuzzes so I can be a little more hard driving.

See, the thing is, I do love the Sunface (mine is the sundial too, that has that adjustment up on the pedal) and also my BYOC, but I have at least two pedalboards, and I don't want to keep moving my fuzzes (I play with one band on mondays, another on wednsdays, and often tuesday have other stuff to do, so I can't be redoing, moving, etc. every week) from one to the other, so I like the idea of having a couple decent ones.

Stevieraveon68...is that true? I mean, I have some great OD's (Zendrive, and Blues Devil. Each one excellent and they work well together) and really have that covered, believe it or not :) but am really looking for a fuzz...one that can get the Purple Haze as well as cleans up on guitar rolloff (that to me is one of the biggies...that a fuzz cleans up quicker and easier than any OD I have ever tried with guitar vol knob).

I guess I'm wondering too, reviews on it seem to indicate that the fuzz has a lot more countour, tone-shaping than most fuzzes. Can be seen as good and bad, but I wouldn't mind having a little more option there.

Thanks again guys!

7. Phil M

Phil M Member

SBB, if you've already got the Sunface, you've already got the ultimate (IMO of course!).

We all talk about how there are pedals that we'll never sell, but then we do anyway for various reasons... I miss my Sunface so badly.

Sunface with the gain down a little and the volume cranked into a loud cooking Marshall-style amp, oyyyyyy, I'm getting that woozy feeling again. I'm a Hendrix tone freak, though I've never sounded much like him. With the Sunface, I was as close as I was ever gonna get. I have a Tonefactor Huckleberry due to arrive soon and I just know it's not going to stand up to the Sunface.

8. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Thanks Phil, but as I mentioned...I do love the Sunface and am keeping it on my board. My main pedalboard. But since I also want variations, and need a fuzz for my other pedalboard (for my other band) I think it is better to try another type of pedal, rather than buying two sunfaces, good as they are.

Just really curious...most of the reviews are pretty good on the '69, with a few that didn't like it. I wish I could try one out, but that just isn't possible, so I really am mainly interested in...using the Sunface as a "benchmark" and hearing from folks that have owned both just for a rundown of the differences.

I hear really good things about the Huckleberry, hope your predictions turn out wrong actually...that you enjoy it a lot and all, but am a littlee curious as to why you don't buy another Sunface instead of the Huckleberry if you think that it won't compare well?

9. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Actually, I can get a little more specific about what I am asking really...

Given that I have a Sunface, and a BYOC Fuzz Clone, would the Fulltone '69 give me something else, another distinct flavor of fuzz, or would I be duplicating what I already have?

10. Phil M

Phil M Member

I'm doing something different now (musically speaking) that doesn't call for that sound honestly. I needed a more versatile fuzz and my search led me to the Huckleberry.

What I meant was that I don't expect the Huckleberry to surpass the Sunface for a specific tone that I feel is the Sunface's strength. I DO expect the Huckleberry to be more versatile.

11. Phil M

Phil M Member

BTW, I think the '69 would give a very close version of the sound of the Sunface. I actually thought the Fulltone was a little clearer and had a wider ranging EQ than the Sunface's bias knob allows for, but the Sunface just had the 'it' factor at band volume.

So to answer your question I think the '69 would be duplicating (though there would be some differences). I think the '70 pedal would actually give you more of another flavor. Higher gain, etc.

12. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Thanks for the input, Phil!

13. 56_Special

56_Special Member

I own a Sunface and have A/B'd it with a '69. The '69 is tweakier. The Sunface is a bit more refined sounding. The '69 is a touch more raw. But I was able to dial the '69 in to being almost identical in tone to the Sunface. If I wasn't able to A/B them, I doubt I could tell the difference. Bottom line: the '69 is a great value and relatively tweakable. They do not belong to different fuzz families to my ears. They are more like fraternal twins.

Best,

Martin

14. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

So how does the BYOC hold up to the Sunface?

15. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

They are different. Not a LOT, but there are some differences, and to be honest, I can come back to this again later, but at the moment I am still tweaking and getting used to each ones' characteristics.

I wouldn't even want to generalize at the moment, because I can get great sounds out of each of them. I have to play them more at higher volumes before I commit to any "review" of them.

But I can say this, they are both great fuzzes. My other fuzz, the UFO is just not happening for me, but both BYOC and Sunface have a LOT of great sounds on tap. They are similar, but I think the Sunface is a little more manageble, but again...I'll get back to you on this.

You can't go wrong with either though!

16. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Well...I missed the used '69, someone snapped it up before I made up my mind, and at a price where I would have bought a new one instead of a used anyway.

So I did (bought a new one).

Just got it yesterday, and I gotta say, I am glad I didn't listen to well intentioned folk that figured as long as I had a Sunface, I wouldn't need a Fulltone '69. While I appreciate the viewpoint, I had a feeling, and went with it and I am really glad.

I bonded with the '69 instantly. In fact, whether by accident or design, the setting it happened to be on right out of the box (which were not either of the recommended settings from the "Manual") was just perfect for me and my amp and my style. It had the bias set at about 8:00. countour around 1:00, and fuzz all the way on. I tried other settings and liked them to.

I'm not (not at ALL) knocking the Sunface, I'm really glad I have it too, but the '69 just immidiately had that sound for me. I LOVE having the contour knob and bias. I think the transistors are picked well, the thing has a presence that is incredible.

I'm not worked in enough on either to compare them, so I won't, but I just gotta say, the '69 is fantastic! I didn't feel it limited itself to Hendrix before BOG, I thought I got some real BOG sounds, as well as other stuff, and I play blues and the touch dynamics are excellent (on both pedals).

I don't feel like I just got two of the same, I think they are different enough that I am keeping both.

Just thought I'd mention.

17. street

street Member

The '69 is one of my favourite fuzz pedals.
    You're gonna have a blast with it.
    It takes a wah really well too, just roll back the bias a little.

Your settings are almost identical to how I set mine and I love it.

Never tried a Sunface, so I can't compare, but I have many other fuzzes and the '69 is one of the best.