Ideas For A New Wah

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ocean, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Ocean

Ocean Member

If you could design a wah that had a few "extras" but wasn't ridiculously complicated to use, what features would it have? Switchable between VOX-ish and Crybaby-ish tones? Volume control? LED status indicator? Q selector? I know there are several builders offering all kinds of designs out there but I thought I'd start fielding some preliminary ideas anyway.

2. mistercoffee1

mistercoffee1 Member

Everyone under the sun has done tweakable Q, Gain, Gain/Bass, Mid. Some have done switchable sweep caps (this is cool, particularly if externally). LED - I can take it or leave it, just don't like the "pop."

Not many have done a good momentary switch that activates the wah only when stepping on it (I can think of two off the top of my head - Silver Machine and Wheeping Deemon), and I realize this may defeat true-bypassing.

3. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

A few mass producers have introduced the concept of the ' Wah multi' - I use a Boss Vwah and although it's not a purists dream, it's certainly no nightmare either once you learn how to use it.
    6 on board drives, uni-vibe with pedal speed control, voice sim and 6 different wahs. The Q can be adjusted on all the wahs too, and you can program 3 sounds into the memory, plus one more in manual mode.

The digitech expression factory is something similar but not based on pure wahs as it features other effects such as the wammy and the space station.

demos of both in my sig.

4. Ocean

Ocean Member

Cool - any more ideas out there?

5. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

A wah that has a "synth" mode - for Moog-like filter sweeps.

6. Mr. Kite

Mr. Kite Member

I'd like to be able to mechanically rotate the pot backwards and forwards to change the sweep. It would be good if I didn't have to loosen anything, just pull on the pot and click to another setting. Maybe with a spring around the shaft to hold it in place.

7. jgyn

jgyn Member

One feature the Roger Mayer Vision Wah has that I haven't seen anywhere else is a wet/dry pot.

8. 4styx

4styx Member

An Ibanez WH-10 Clone!

9. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

an effects loop, like the Tim, but activated when you move the pedal.
    for example, it could activate a vibe or a tremolo, along with the wah (obviously).

10. cmc2878

cmc2878 Member

How about a defeat-able mix control?

It would be great for those when you want a half-cocked tone but a little in the background. Almost ZZTop-esque tones???

11. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

External treble/mid/bass controls.

Aside from that, whatever features you put in this thing, make the controls external!

12. Lex Luthier

Lex Luthier Member

How about some sort of electrical sensing device instead of a pot (which eventually wears out or and gets scratchy) and also where you can adjust the taper of the control to simulate Icar pots or whatever so you can get the 'feel' of a pot without actually using one. I know some companies like Morley use sensors but they don't have the right feel for me.

13. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

A stomp switch for a cocked-wah sound?

14. Ocean

Ocean Member

The cocked wah idea is interesting. I've heard that before and was intrigued by it.

15. carljoensson

carljoensson Member

Hi,
    I had a Dunlop Crybaby 95Q for a while. The sound was thin and hard to love, but the spring-loaded system was great.

I wish someone like Teese would do a spring-loaded wah with great sound. That would be fab for someone like me, who's foremost a vocalist, to go instantly into wah-mode without having to worry about clicking it on and off.

I suppose the 95Q could be modded, but the pcb is robotmade in China or something with really tiny components.

/C

16. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I'd like one that wahs in sync with my pelvis.

17. Ocean

Ocean Member

18. blackjack davey

blackjack davey Senior Member

Maybe you can make it small like the DOD FX-17? Or make it switchable between Volume & Wah. Or Pot free as to avoid future scratchiness.