Ideas for us digital tone tweakers

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by tatkovladko, Mar 3, 2012.

1. tatkovladko

tatkovladko Member

Honestly sorry for creating a new thread just for that, couldn't figure out where'd it fit. But I've often used an approach when tweaking my modelers to achieve someone else's tone, not to necessarily use the models of the equipment that the target tone uses. E.g. not necessarily go with a 4x12 cab for say GNR or with a Vox cab for U2 or not use the actual amp used in the target tone, etc.
    I'm pretty certain most of us do that anyway, but it doesn't hurt to remind ourselves once more.

I accidentally stumbled upon the video below. The second video below is not as surprising, being a JCM800 after all.
    Regardless, tone can be achieved "by any means necessary" or available :)

2. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

And for goodness sake... try using different cabinets with the "wrong" amps... and change out the mike model (if your modeler has such a thing)... GREAT fun...

3. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer Member

+1 ^^^^ What he said ^^^^

4. stratchamp57

stratchamp57 Member

Yep, good advice. I can't tell you how much better tones I've been getting since I stopped using the default cabs. :)

5. epluribus

epluribus Member

Strongly Agree. :) To get the dramatic impression of a similar tone, you'll have to adapt it to your playing, your guitar, and the rest of the mix you're working with. Not to mention that your modeler may provide better ways of producing the "circuit" behaviors you want than with the supposedly "correct amp." And just to top it all off, you may want more or less of those various behaviors simply depending on taste.

By all means, use what the mix and your ears are telling you is the right choice...no bonus points for getting only the patch label right.

--Ray