1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas on cleaning rusty chrome on amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by g-fry195, May 20, 2011.

1. g-fry195

g-fry195 Member

I've got numerous old (and not so old) amps that have rust issues: on the fasteners of amp handles, on the little panels on either side of the top of Fender amps, etc. Anyone know any methods to remove the offending stuff short of having the piece re-chromed?

I'd also love to be able to clean a control panel with silk-screened printing. I figure there's probably no way to do this without obliterating the writing, but
    maybe I'm wrong.....?

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

There really isn't a good way to do this without risking some sort of damage.

3. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

Try a little car wax with steel wool, if it's shallow rust you're good... If the rust goes through to the base metal it won't help much.

About all you can do with a face plate is clean and polish.