Ideas on my first rack...

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by marpa94, Dec 19, 2017.

1. marpa94

marpa94 Member

Thinking about building my first “rack rig”

And stay simple for home use

Here a list based on all infos a get at tgp

Guitar......already have it Ok

Sansamp Psa .......have to buy

Eventide Eclipse .....::have to buy

Yamaha Ag6 mixer ......already have it

Speakers.........have to buy

Play a lot with headphones

My music pretty much rock and some ambient lush....

Id like to receive your advices or suggestions, About my choices

Ill appreciate very much thanx

2. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Please...
    get a real mixer. That one isn't going to help you.
    A Mackie VLZ4:
    http://mackie.com/products/vlz4-series

I know an 802VLZ4 would be enough for your planned setup but I'd go for the next one, the 1202VLZ4 'cuz it has 2 Aux Sends and will perfectly incorporate a second fx processor the minute you'll add it. You will! One processor fed by the 2nd balanced output of the PSA-1 and the second processor thru the Aux Sends. These mixers sound much better than the AG6 and you can run balanced lines.

http://mackie.com/sites/default/files/PRODUCT RESOURCES/MANUALS/Owners_Manuals/802VLZ4_OM.pdf

http://mackie.com/sites/default/files/PRODUCT RESOURCES/MANUALS/Owners_Manuals/1202VLZ4_OM.pdf

Speakers... use close field monitors. I like my Genelec.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  3. marpa94

marpa94 Member

Ok the mixer after a lot of your post .....mackie price and sound wise is the way to , i got the point

About spekers im really new to that, i was thinking about those

http://www.krksys.com/krk-studio-monitor-speakers/rokit/rokit-5.html

But are the the ones u suggested,

Thank you very mch for your time, your very kind

4. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Those are nice too. Maybe the 6 model as you gat a few extra low end Hz... and watts.

marpa94 likes this.
  5. marpa94

marpa94 Member

Thanx italo, im gonna use the monitors in a 4 x 6 meters room, which do you think are more suited, the 5 or 6?

Thanx

6. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

They are both ok but the 6 will give you a bit more bass end and power.

marpa94 likes this.
  7. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

For what it's worth, I'm using JBL LSR308s for near-field monitors and I'm quite happy with them.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    marpa94 likes this.
  8. MarcoR

MarcoR Member

I have the 305s and I like them better than my KRK V8s. Wish they had more power though...

marpa94 likes this.
  9. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

I saw a sale recently where someone was selling 308's for $129 each. I wish I could have got that deal when I was buying!

marpa94 likes this.
  10. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

I really wish I would have done something like this in the first place, but I wanted something more compact and chose a rack-mountable line mixer. It's quite regrettable, as I never communicated this to the wife and now she's picked me up a Samson SM10. I guess I'm stuck with fixed routing for a while...at least my machines are awesome.

ctreitzell and marpa94 like this.
  11. marpa94

marpa94 Member

Now,
    Hi hidro,

First of all want to say.....the first time i posted here on tgp YOU was the first to answer me......AMARCORD......

Ill check your suggestion

Thanx a lot

12. Baba Louie

Baba Louie Member

Get the KRK Rockit 10-3s. How you gonna rock and roll with some little 5 inch speakers?
    They're not even really all that expensive. You can find them on fleabay for $4-500 a pair used.
    Go big, or go home.

marpa94 likes this.
  13. looper309

looper309 Member

14. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

Hey Marpa,

Let's talk about what you want to do with your sounds.

You say you want to play rock and ambient...Eclipse will definitely be your friend here. You'll be able to find something for less than $1000 USD, if you are patient. The reverbs and plex delays will get you all of the ambient you need. The Eclipse is beautiful at 48k and it's a MONSTER at 96k....a perfect little brother to the H8000.

The Sansamp will also work, but you might also consider a modeler (sorry @italo de angelis) to have a selection of sounds. Lots of guys prefer the expensive stuff, but I prefer the Eleven Rack, which is about the same cost as the Sansamp. However, I play clean and the 11R is quite good at this type of thing. I also don't use any modeled amps - I use a custom amp created by Avid that sounds a bit like a cross between a JC-120 and a Deluxe Reverb. Actually, you could place an Eclipse in the Eleven Rack's line level loop and also use the Eleven Rack's headphone out as well.

The mixer will be your key to expand your setup and route signals freely. You'll be able to add more rack devices and send their outputs into one another, like Eclipse pitch -> Lexicon reverb or something like that. That's why it's sometimes the first and most important piece to buy. I decided to buy the racks first and now I'm limited in routing until I get a big Mackie...

Mentioning your budget here would also be helpful in recommending some things.

ctreitzell and marpa94 like this.
  15. Ejay

Ejay Supporting Member

You play a lot with headphones...and want a setup for home.

Why on earth would you prefer pricy hardware rackover a software solution?...or a modeler?

marpa94 likes this.
  16. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Supporting Member

Not as flexible as some of the VLZ’s, but couldn’t your SM10 use TRS from the MON send for one fx unit and then another for the EFX send? If you keep your dry channel at unity gain and both the MON and EFX at unity gain, pre or post fader shouldn’t matter right?

17. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

Plugins and DAWs aren't a bad solution, but they're not comparable to hardware. I think I have a pretty good reference, owning several plugins and several hardware pieces. Plugins get you somewhere and some sound absolutely phenomenal, but I have not received the same results that I get from something like an Eclipse. And good plugins can get expensive, too.

Possibly. Truth be told, I haven't even unboxed it yet, as I've been very engaged with my H8000. I'm hoping for precisely the solution that you mention, although I'm not a huge fan of y-cables and adapters. Is there any chance that you know if those sends are line level?

18. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Supporting Member

Truth be told, I don’t own one. However, I’ve been eyeing them for a while as I slowly build up my small first rack. The manual says that channels 1-8 have a line level switch on the back - either +4dBu or -10dBv. I’m assuming that when set to +4 with everything at unity gain, the sends should be +4 as well, no?

Btw, not that I’d ever encourage you to dump a gift from your wife or anything ... but if you do decide to move it on, let me know. I only have an MPX-G2 to connect and don’t need 4 aux sends.

marpa94 likes this.
  19. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Exactly!

The plugs... why NOT:
    -there is no plugin sounding like the real thing. Nope. It's a fact.
    -there is no plugin doing what an Eclipse preset, using most of its algorithms, can do-You simply don't find those structures as plugins... a market based on simple structures rather than more complex ones... the only possible solution to specific sounds and effects.
    -IF even possible, the amount of current plugins AND DAW software you'd need to recreate some of those sounds, in a mutilated form, is way more expensive than getting the real thing.

Who's next?

Of course a line level mixer HAS line level Aux Sends. It would be way dumb if wasn't like this. But Billy needs a mixer with balls... for some serious routings options, in true stereo... and HUGE headroom. You can't beat the quality of a desktop mixer.

marpa94 likes this.
  20. looper309

looper309 Member

Considering the logistics of using a desktop mixer, e.g., Mackie VLZ1202, for live performances, and Murphy's Law...
    When limited setup time is an issue, and you have 3-4 processors plus aux sends to connect, the space is dark, you set your mixer on top of the rack or table... then you have to pull your cables out from behind the rack then plug them all into the mixer correctly. The situation could be laid back or stressful, you can't be there with temporary amnesia, scratching your head... you would really have to have those connections memorized down pat. I've taken the precaution of color-coding the cables/shrink tubing. With a line mixer, in live situations, no such issues. Just a thought.

marpa94 likes this.