Identify these shiny streaks in rosewood?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by SamBooka, May 8, 2016.

1. SamBooka

SamBooka Member

This is a new Allparts neck. The rosewood seems to have this reflective stuff in the pores. Anyone

A) Know what it is?
    B) know how to remove it?
    C) Know what it is and doesnt think it can/should be removed.

The only thing I have tried so far was 0000 steel wool followed by a little oil. I did that on the 8th and 9th frets.. no difference.

Thanks

[​IMG]

2. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

What did Allparts say?

3. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

That's something in the open grain...dust, polishing compound, etc. My money's on polishing compound. You can probably blow some/most of it out with compressed air. The rest might come out with some naphtha. You can try that with a toothbrush. If you're patient, you can scrape it out little by little with a very sharp dental pick, but it will take you a LONG time.

You can also just ignore it. It's inconsequential and is strictly just cosmetic. Personally, I would call AllParts. Occasionally something bad will sneak through, but a customer really shouldn't have to deal with this. It's a pain in the butt.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
    swiveltung and Jerrod like this.
  4. sixstringfuel

sixstringfuel Hotdogs kill Silver Supporting Member

Maybe it's the camera but I would be more twisted about how those frets look than whatever the shiny stuff is.

falderguitars likes this.
  5. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

Minerals. Quite common in wood. Ebony sometimes gets big chunks of it grown into the grain.

falderguitars likes this.
  6. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

nah; a proper fret-leveling is assumed when you buy an aftermarket neck, so they'll get filed, crowned and polished anyway.

SamBooka likes this.
  7. John Coloccia

Well the way to know for sure is to just try to get some out with a sharp needle. If it comes right out, it's probably compound. If it doesn't, it's probably mineral. Honestly, I've not seen it look like that before but if Matt says so I believe it.

If it really is mineral, I have been able to cover it up a bit, but it's quite dangerous on a finished instrument! Matt may know what I'm talking about. It involves acetone... :)

SamBooka likes this.
  8. SamBooka

SamBooka Member

Neck is fine. on the rocker I think the second and 12th frets are off. I have had far worse on far more expensive guitars..

9. John Coloccia

I'm not actually sure why acetone works. I doubt it's removing anything. I think it's jusy smearing around oils and junk. You could probably do the same think with dye and sanding it back. :) I just discovered it by accident wiping off some stray superglue from some heavy handed gluing I did on an inlay. Poof, mineral disappeared.

10. hogy

hogy Member

Yes, those are mineral deposits. Some tropical hardwoods have more than others, some have so much, it dulls your power tools very quickly.

11. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Yeah, those frets look like crap... from what I can tell anyway. That white stuff is in the wood pores. I would try just some WD40 and maybe a tooth brush to get it out. I use baby powder a bit when playing and mine all look like that.

12. SamBooka

SamBooka Member

what looks off on the frets? I dont get it..

13. murkat

murkat I like sea otters

at GCS in 2007~ 2009, a lot of rosewood blanks came in, installed on historics with that same mineral deposit
    within the rosewood pores. Nothing we could do about it really. Japan rejected quite a few because the boards
    where so bad with it, did not look right. Eventually they (GCS) used shoe polish to cover most of it up on the infected boards.

14. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

The technical term for it is schmutz:D. You have a lot of great guidance in this thread already. Try some of the ideas carefully and small scale with q-tip etc. You'll solve it.

15. SamBooka

SamBooka Member

Well, there's some things like WD-40 that I won't try. I have tried acetone with a Q-tip, not fill with a toothbrush, and mineral oil with steel wool. Since it is purely cosmetic and I'm more concerned with with the feel of the board than anything else I might just let it slide. This is come up in a couple of other guitar forums and a common "solution" is to stain the board. Again, between that and living with it I would rather live with it. Thanks to all for the help though! And I still don't see what's wrong with the frets…!?!?!

16. kidmo

kidmo Member

your neck was mixed in with a shipment of cocaine, it's probably worth more than what you paid for it, WIN!

17. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

They don't appear smooth to me, but as mentioned it could just be the light or something.