• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • Our current dedicated servers have done their job for a number of years but it is time to upgrade the hosting to new hardware. The change over will happen tonight.

Identify this Gibson Flying V?

Bob Pollock

Gold Supporting Member
It is a 67 reissue, not enough serial number showing to determine the year other than 20XX.

VRob98

Yes, it's a mid-2000's '67 reissue in mahogany, not korina. Gibson did a limited run of the natural finish ones with gold hardware.

jtm622

It is ABSOLUTELY NOT A '58... That guitar is closer to a '67 "V" - but remember, the '67's were ALL built with solid mahogany and they ALL came stock with a Maestro Vibrola mounted on them... Plus, the fingerboard on the actual '67 "V" was usually also set quite a bit "shallower" than the fingerboards on the '67 "reissues"...

That's a good-looking guitar, but really - it's NEITHER a '58 reissue nor an accurate '67 reissue...

BrentB6

67 reissue. I didn't know they came in natural until VRob posted. Do you know the seller ? Not to stir up any ****....but I am always leary about internet sales that show the pictures taken in a music store.

cmatthes

Silver Supporting Member
That's Atomic Music's Beltsville store, if that's who is selling. Those pictures were 100% taken in their shop.

I've purchased lotsa stuff from them over the years. They may not always get the details right, but they are fairly priced and have always treated me well.

jeffwith1f

what a strange collection of pictures.

it is a 67 RI in natural with gold hardwear. also it's seen some knocks.
it's worth about $700-$900. maybe more to someone that wants a V with gold hardwear.

MikeMcK

Gold Supporting Member
It is ABSOLUTELY NOT A '58... That guitar is closer to a '67 "V" - but remember, the '67's were ALL built with solid mahogany and they ALL came stock with a Maestro Vibrola mounted on them... Plus, the fingerboard on the actual '67 "V" was usually also set quite a bit "shallower" than the fingerboards on the '67 "reissues"...
Also, the "tell 'em apart from a distance" giveaway is the knobws laid out in a triangle (instread of a straight line like the original).

Custom50

if it was a 58 RI the knobs would be in a straight line and it would be string through body

jeffwith1f

don't get me wrong. a 67 RI was the first guitar I fell in love with. they are a steal for what they resell for.
also, you'll be the only kid on our block with a flying V.

for comparison, 67 RI style V (this is a 1990, but these are still made today)

this is a 58 style Epiphone (7 string in this case, but the other visual cues of the body are about right as well). note the less sloped shoulders where the neck meets the body, the rubber leg grip (that'd doesn't do jack), placement of the knobs, and of course, string through plate.

TattooedCarrot

Silver Supporting Member
Its just a standard 67 styled V in natural. Although natural is not listed as a production color for V's and Explorers, Gibson still makes runs of them from time to time.

They are less common than black, white, or cherry, but are not rare, are not korina, and are not reissues.

Their value is about euql to that of any other production V, or maybe a couple bucks higher due to the fact they are less common and people like them.

Trending Topics