Identifying body material

rte1023

I found a very cheap flying v at a thrift store that is in decent condition. I was trying to figure out what the body is made of and was hoping I could get some help.

It's a Chinese made guitar with a label of Panache from San Antonio. There was some paint chipped away in the cavities and bushings must have been removed before so this is what I'm looking at now.
IMG_0509_zpsatzejeoo.jpg

Maybe a veneer on something but I'm not very sure. I'd appreciate any advice out there!

Thanks,

Rob

GtrGeorge!

I dont know the answer..but fwiw: so long as it sounds good it IS good! Ive played some guitars made of ???? cheap ass wood (possibly wood chips and glue) that sounded good. And Ive also played some $200,000 of aged mahogany etc that sounded Bad!! Use your ears.

rte1023

Well I wanted to try guitar refinishing and resurfacing so I thought this would be something good to try it out on. Mostly trying to determine what it is for that purpose. If it is a particle board or composite I really don't care what that's doing to the tone. It's a cheap flying v. But I'm wondering if it is real wood because I can see some grain that looks more like lumber than fibreboard type stuff. Maybe a basswood? I have no idea, maybe I'll just have to take off the finish and paint and try something out

old goat

Looks like solid wood. It could be a ring-porous wood (mahogany, oak, and walnut are ring porous, maple and cherry are diffuse-porous.) Ring porous woods need filler to achieve a smooth finish. But I can't say for sure.

rte1023

Thank you all for the input! I will be getting that black paint off and seeing what it looks like over the holidays. The neck on this axe feels pretty great too. Might put on a Maestro vibrola and get some new pups on her. I love flying Vs

copperhead

Wood with open pores .& probably some sort of light weight Mahogany . or one of the species that they are calling hog
is it light weight ?

rte1023

I've removed all the paint and I'm happy with how the wood looks! A friend I showed thought it may be oak or maple, I'm still browsing samples trying to figure it out. Just for curiosity's sake really. Wish my Dad was still around to advise me. It's at least 4 pieces. It's pretty light colored so I'm hopeful of the staining results when I get it down to that grade. If anyone has any further insight it is much appreciated
IMG_0517_zps7dl3dsb4.jpg

IMG_0516_zpsniylz6hh.jpg

IMG_0518_zpsxoksgc4h.jpg

IMG_0522_zpsnyad7oik.jpg

Last edited:

Geeze

Reminds me of alder. Short of contacting the mfg you may never know for sure. It really doesn't matter that much as long as it is staple and not soft. A good resource - http://www.wood-database.com/ if not knowing hurts you.

Finishing will be more fun as the 'zones' of the wood will take the stain differently. I've read about sealing the wood and then stain /tint the next layer of sealer and then top coat to get a more even finish.

Russ

Trending Topics

Top Bottom