Identifying the mystery Morley pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sewage666, Feb 8, 2012.

1. sewage666

sewage666 Member

I got this big, old, chrome Morley pedal on the cheap and am having a doozy of a time figuring out what it was meant to do.

It has two momentary switches labeled 1 & 2. Those seem to correspond to jacks labeled 1 & 2. Stepping on switch 1 connects jack 1 & 2. Stepping on switch 2 throws jack 2 to ground. The jack labeled "volume" connects only to the LDR, which has 1 leg tied to ground. There is no model number or serial number on the label and the jewel light cover is different from other vintage Morleys.

My best guess is that it's a custom pedal to control another device. The "volume" label, components, and lack of a model number on the label makes me certain it came from Tel-Ray, though, and is not a hack job. If I can't figure out what it's for, it's certain to become something else in my hands.

I'd love to know if anyone has any idea what the heck this thing used to do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Stratm69

Stratm69 Member

it looks like it could be an optical volume pedal?

3. dick wiewy

dick wiewy Member

4. sewage666

sewage666 Member

Not quite. It does have an LDR and curtain set up similar to my old Morley VOL pedal. Unlike the volume pedal, the LDR doesn't pass a signal through to affect anything and there's no clear input / output on this guy. Not to mention the two very non-standard momentary switches.

For comparison, this is more of a standard optical volume pedal; my Morley VOL:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The mystery continues...

5. Marrrty

Marrrty Member

A friend of mine has a similar looking morley pedal which turns out that it is a volume and wah pedal in one. Impossible to use. But a nice idea in principal... Does this fit the bill?