identifying values on orange drop capacitors?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by LustandFury, Oct 7, 2008.

1. LustandFury

LustandFury Member

Hi I just got a bunch of 716P Orange drops for my first amp project. I might just be stupid but I can't see the farad value on any of the caps. The Voltage is labeled clearly but not the farad rating. What am I missing?

2. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

3. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

It probably does say the rating, but you don't know how to read it. There should be a code on it, in the lower left corner of the writing on the cap. It will have three numbers and a letter. For instance, if it says 473J, that means that it is a .047uf with a 5% tolerence. The first two numbers are the value, the third number is the multiplier. There are tons of charts about this. I did a fast google for capacitor chart and came up with this one:

http://www.csgnetwork.com/capcodeinfo.html

4. LustandFury

LustandFury Member

Thanks a million Adam I figured it had to be something like that!

5. Trout

Trout Member

They have a chart to determine(explain) the code lettering at the SBE website. SBE is a division of Vishay that makes the orange drop caps often sold as Sprague.

The 716P is in this 15 page pdf list.

BTW, contrary to popular internet lore, it makes no difference which direction the labels face on this popular brand of Orange drop caps.

SBE has an article about this on their website,

Outside Foil Direction

6. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Some capacitors will behave differently depending upon how they are connected. There is generally a black bar that will indicate which lead is the outside of the can. Electrolytics are a perfect example here, but its not limited to them. If its a non-polarized capacitor you want the outside lead on the lowest impedance part of the circuit. So if you are coming off a plate with a 47k resistor into a 1M pot, put the outside to the plate/input part of the circuit.

7. LustandFury

LustandFury Member

Perfect Trout much appreciated!

8. Trout

Trout Member

In therory, that is 100% true,

But in the case of vishay/sbe/ sprague orange drops, unless you are willing to test each and every cap the foil end lead can not be determined by markings.
    The black bar that used to be on sprague orange drops was actually meaningless. (according to SBE)