IDing Fender CIJ '62RI Strat Pickups?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by twoheadedboy, Jun 30, 2006.

1. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

Hey dudes,

I have a Fender CIJ '62 RI strat in Oly White with Rosewood fretboard. Serial number is Q035245. The pickups are stock, and I'm just wondering what they would be. They sound really really good. Thanks!

2. Bruce O'D

Bruce O'D Member

There were two lines of CIJ vintage reissues produced: authentic and economy. The economy (made for export) had unstamped saddles and flat pole piece pickups. The authentic had staggered poles, stamped saddles, and 'aged' knobs, pup covers, and parchment green pickguard. If you have the real deal, the pickups are likely Fender USA Vintage. If not, they are a cheap copy. No idea who made them. I used to have one of the cheapy CIJ reissues, and the pups and electronics couldn't suck enough. My guess is you have the real deal. BTW, Q in the SN makes it a 1993-1994 model.

3. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

Not true...

A Q with a 6 numbered serial number is a 2002-2004 since it is Crafted in Japan.

4. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

This is one of the real RIs with stamped saddles, individual pickup routing, mint green pickup covers and pickguard, etc. According to my searches of the serial, it was made in 2003. The pickups are staggered. You think these are USA vintage pickups?

5. Roodboy

Roodboy Supporting Member

Is the s/n on the back of the neck at the base? I think the less expensive export guitars had the s/n on the headstock.

6. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

Yes, the SN is at the base of the neck. Also, don't the cheaper exports say MIJ while the japanese market guitars say CIJ? Mine says CIJ.

7. Roodboy

Roodboy Supporting Member

The earlier ones said MIJ, I think mid 80's era. Nice guitar, Ihad a 68ri CIJ that absolutley wailed, but it never had the stock pickups in it..

8. rhp52

rhp52 Supporting Member

I have the same guitar circa and it came w/ texas specials

9. scottlr

scottlr Member

Oh man, why did you have to show me that website? ;) I love MIJ/CIJ Strats.

10. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

I think these pickups are texas specials then. They certainly sound like it. The bridge pickup seems about as hot as a tele pickup. I think I might like to swap these out for something more vintagey, with one of those strat bridge pickups that sound like a tele.

11. phil esposito

phil esposito Member

BACK FROM THE DEAD...

Did these all have Texas specials or are there others they came with?