• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Idiot Proof Music theory (trust me)

JonR

Yes, Stone Dragon is a guru well known to some of us here for many years ... ;)

(There is a HELL OF A LOT he doesn't cover, of course. But he covers all the essentials, IMO.)

pennylink

Thanks for posting this. I have nothing but admiration for people who share their knowledge.

liveone

I like doing those melodic patterns over the major scale for warming up. Great for shredders too!

UnderTheWooDd

um... stupid question maybe, but on the zentao site, he sort of casually presents those 117 "melodic patterns" and then kind of says "now get to work...."

Should I interpret that to mean

"find some that work for you!"

or

"learn/memorize/master all 117 and you'll be on your way!"

:crazyguy
hahaha from what I've read he's pretty hell bent on extreme memorization (see his mode lessons to see what I'm talking about) so i would guess the latter...

UnderTheWooDd

Yes, Stone Dragon is a guru well known to some of us here for many years ... ;)

(There is a HELL OF A LOT he doesn't cover, of course. But he covers all the essentials, IMO.)

what doesn't he cover and where might I find it? (as in, is there anything readily important that he leaves out?)

russ6100

Gold Supporting Member
what doesn't he cover and where might I find it? (as in, is there anything readily important that he leaves out?)
He does cover most of the basics.

Of course there's lots more advanced stuff to explore that I didn't see on his site. Stuff like:

Advanced Pentatonics
Hexatonics
Triad superimposition
dodecaphony

Symmetrical scales

Modes of the melodic minor, harmonic minor and harmonic major
synthetic scales

Advanced harmony
polychords
slash chords

and a ton more.

As for where to find it - Google is your friend! :D

JonR

"Readily" or "really" important?
And important for what?
Is any music theory important? Even for playing music?
Depends on your priorities... ;)

Sorry - :rolleyes: - I'd just say what russ6100 did. If you're curious about other topics, google them.
If you've never heard of them, why bother? (you almost certainly don't need them.)

Damn, let me actually try and be helpful...:rolleyes:
Here's 3 sites I like for reference:
http://www.dolmetsch.com/theoryintro.htm
http://www.teoria.com/reference/index.htm
http://www.petethomas.co.uk/jazz-theory.html
(there are sites that go into far more depth than these, but they should keep you busy for a few years... Are they important? Only if you think so... If you can't see how any of it connects with the music you play, then you don't need to know it.)

jzucker

Silver Supporting Member
It's a good page but pretty much theory-lite(tm)

As someone else pointed out, depending on your goals you may likely not be interested in what else is out there but there is plenty such as Russ pointed out. Check out any of Jerry Bergonzi's work on the melodic side or Ronan Guilfoyle's work on the rhythmic side (just for starters).

The Captain

Does this mean "idiot-proof" as in child-proof, meaning that there is something to prevcent idiots from gaining access ??
Or is that an idiot thing to ask ??

UnderTheWooDd

Does this mean "idiot-proof" as in child-proof, meaning that there is something to prevcent idiots from gaining access ??
Or is that an idiot thing to ask ??

As in it's pretty easy to understand (to a certain extent). Don't be offended if you don't get it it though... I had to use it concurrently with a book and several other websites to understand it completely...

The Captain

As in it's pretty easy to understand (to a certain extent). Don't be offended if you don't get it it though... I had to use it concurrently with a book and several other websites to understand it completely...
Ahhhhhhhhh, yeah, I was being droll !
I was kinda hoping that I enough of an idiot to not be able to get teh top off, and therefore have an excuse to not batter my head against that whole memorization issue.

Trending Topics