Idiot's Guide To Sending Files Online

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Scooter Burbank, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Scooter Burbank

Scooter Burbank Member

I've tried to search both TGP and the greater Web, but I ended up getting confused.

My band recorded an album -- on CD.

I would like to send it in its entirety to various people via e-mail or some other online method. When I've converted the songs from iTunes to mp3s, I've been very unhappy with the sound quality.

I would like to send CD-quality files.

How do I accomplish this?

Thank you very much!

2. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

Best way would be through a file sharing service such as DropBox.com or Box.Net. That was you can publish a folder full of AIFF files, and send the link to the folder to the people you know so they can download it.

I use Box.Net quite a lot - it even lets the users preview the files and listen to them before downloading, and their free account lets you upload up to 3Gb of files I believe...

3. Scooter Burbank

Scooter Burbank Member

Thank you, CyberFerret! But would you mind dumbing this down even more for me? What is an AIFF file? Is it CD quality? And how do I convert an iTunes file to that format?

I've heard of DropBox and YouSendIt. I'll look into Box.net.

4. russ6100

russ6100 Member

If you're wanting CD quality, forget about starting with an "iTunes file" as source material....

5. Scooter Burbank

Scooter Burbank Member

Okay. I'm seriously confused. I have CDs. When I insert the disc on my computer, it goes directly to iTunes. I'm new to Macs and I'm also new to using digital formats for music.

6. Scooter Burbank

Scooter Burbank Member

Or if anybody can point me to a good online instructional, I'd really appreciate it. I haven't been able to find a good one.

7. carnivore

carnivore Member

You need to join a file sharing site like box.net

You will then have to "rip" the audio files from off of your CD to your local computer. On windows you can do this right from the (WMP) media player. On a mac I'm not sure if iTunes has this feature. If not I'm sure there is a shareware app out there. You can Google "CD ripper".

You will have a couple of options on what format to "rip" the files to. The choices will probably be... wav, aiff, wma, or mp3. Select the format you want.

Once the files are extracted from the CD and on your machine you will need to upload the files to your (on-line) music share.

Once the files are up online in your shared folder you will need to set the permissions. This allows who you you want to be able to access the music files and what they can do with them (read or write or maybe even download on some sites).

Once your online storage is setup and loaded with your music files.... all you have to do is send out the link or address to whoever you want to hear your stuff.

I hope this helps

scotth likes this.
  8. doublee

doublee Member

In ITunes preferences, there are options on what file quality the CD will be imported as, mp3, aiff etc. The default setting is probably low-ish fidelity wise.

As for emailing large files what I did was get the free FTP (file transfer protocol) software called Cyberduck off the net. What you then need is a place to send the file to so your recipient (also with Cyberduck) can then download it.
    I happen to have a website to upload to but these days there are many options, like Dropbox as mentioned above. If you have a newer mac theres probably a way to do it within the operating system. Still confused? Sorry! If you google it there will be thousands of links that explain it better.

9. Release

Release Member

A great file transfer site that I use is "We Transfer". It's free, and you get a confirmation on both who you send it out to AND you get a confirmation when the recipient downloads the file. Plus, you can send the link to a number of people at a time. The files won't stay up there forever, I think it's 2 weeks, but if you're only sending out a few at a time, this service is fantastic.

10. Scooter Burbank

Scooter Burbank Member

Thanks, guys. You have both been really helpful.

I think it's the fact that there are thousands of links that was confusing me. I just wanted some step by step instructions, which you have provided. Thanks!

11. Scooter Burbank

Scooter Burbank Member

Thanks! I'll check that one out too.

12. rah3

rah3 Member

Did you have an engineer record the album? was it mastered?

If so ask the engineer to upload a disc image (iso) to one of the file transfer services others have mentioned here. Dropbox can handle your CD which will be a maximum data size of 680 - 700 meg, 74 to 79 mins respectively. CD Redbook is 74 mins TRT with CD-Rom-XA being 79 mins.

Just a suggestion. The disc image will retain Track order and timing between tracks. I believe those artistic choices are important consideration for a band to make and should be digitally preserved when sending to a listener. Just a little throwback to the days of AOR: Album Oriented Rock.

- RAH3

13. guitarnut

guitarnut Member

or upload full quality wav's to bandcamp.com ... bandcamp.com is awesome for selling music to fans and you can upload once and then the customer can choose from any number of formats ... in your instance you could simply give a voucher code to the folks that you want to receive the album for free ... so double win of a direct selling platform for fans and also a distribution method to get the album out to other folks for free. its an awesome service that supports high quality audio formats.

or rip it and throw it in a zip folder onto dropbox etc as other folks have mentioned.

14. Scooter Burbank

Scooter Burbank Member

I agree completely, and this has been a frustrating thing for me. We put a lot of thought into sequencing the album.

Yes, it was mastered. I'll shoot an e-mail to the mastering house about this.

Thanks!

15. louderock

louderock Member

Sendspace.com

or

Gobbler.com

16. Scooter Burbank

Scooter Burbank Member

The Bandcamp idea seems like a great one. I think I'm going to go that route.