• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Idlewild

Nevets

I've been rediscovering this band lately. Got into them in 2000 with "100 Broken Windows", enjoyed "The Remote Part" then fell away. Have been listening to the rest of their albums (including this year's "Everything Ever Written" and wow, what a great band. Melodic edgy guitar pop with some great guitar playing. Their lyrics are interesting, definitely not cliche and great delivery. Very underrated band. Anyone else out there into them? Jay Baruchel is a fan.

critter74

Silver Supporting Member
Wow, I kind of forgot about them. I have not listened to them since those albums as well though (early 2000's). Maybe time to revisit. I seem to remember they reminded me of early Snow Patrol (which was a great band until they became the UK version of Death Cab For Cutie. Their first 2 albums were great, along with his then side projects.).

Clyde Billt

Gold Supporting Member
Saw them do an acoustic set a month or so ago in Glasgow at The Hard Rock Cafe.

Sounded absolutely fantastic.
I have always liked them, but the half a dozen tunes they played were just beautifully done. Very impressed

It was part of some radio station promotion (XFM maybe?) so you might find it online.
I'll have a look when I get a minute

Turi

Cool I dug that, never heard of them.

I loved the Idlewild book trilogy though - wonder if that's where they got their name?

MBT74

Saw them play a small club in Brisbane in the middle of summer. It was a bit of a shock for some Scottish lads just off the plane. :D

Played a good show though. I listen to Remote Part pretty often.

Remote Part is probably their big hitter and strongest album, but 'Love Steals Us From Loneliness' is one of my favourite songs from any artist. It's the combination of that chorus melody and the wistfulness of the lyrics I think.

Saw them a few years back as a last minute replacement for The Streets at a festival and they were fantastic. Pulled some old stuff out to cover the extra time and had a lot of attitude compared to the records; very much a throwback to the days when they were described as "a flight of stairs falling down a flight of stairs" in the UK press.

redchapterjubilee

Silver Supporting Member
Big fan. I only read recently that they put out another album late last year overseas. I gotta track it down.

Nevets

Ha! I first searched the board for "Idlewild" and found nothing much but references to some Allman Brothers album!

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
I remember going to see them at the Roadhouse in Manchester when they just had a couple of 7"s out - they were an awesome live band in the beginning. The Roadhouse had a low false ceiling over the stage, and they smashed it to pieces with their guitars at the end of the set, which was the height of rock and roll to my teenage self... Saw them a few times after that and bought the debut album but they gradually faded off my radar. I had a listen to the new album the other week and it sounds interesting, worth going back to, and I keep meaning to check out their earlier stuff. I still love those first few singles.

Trending Topics