• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

IEC Female Rewireable Power Socket

tschelle668

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone have a good source for these? A typical searches turns up results for plugs that cost more than pre-constructed cables. I'm wanting to make custom length power cables for my effects power supplies and amps.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
I was in the hunt for right angle version and found on Amazon for about $7. That's what it costs I suppose. Have you checked the components section at local radio shack?

tschelle668

Silver Supporting Member
I forgot about Radio Shack. I've called all the stores in my town with no luck. Apparently, not a lot of people want to make these kind of power cables.

JMMP1

Silver Supporting Member
I buy the shortest cable that is longer than the cable I plan to make, cut off the wall (male) side, and fit it with an aftermarket plug. I have some Cooper wiring plugs that I love, but they are too large to sit next to each other in a (rackmounted) surge protector. I do the same with right angle IEC plugs.

tschelle668

Silver Supporting Member
I buy the shortest cable that is longer than the cable I plan to make, cut off the wall (male) side, and fit it with an aftermarket plug. I have some Cooper wiring plugs that I love, but they are too large to sit next to each other in a (rackmounted) surge protector. I do the same with right angle IEC plugs.
Thank you for the obvious answer! It never occurred to me that I can cut my existing cables to length and add an Edison plug... I wish I would have thought of that myself, but it's a great solution. Thanks!

MoonshineMan

They're so readily available premade and in many lengths already. I'd be surprised to find them anywhere, as they're usually molded plugs.
If it's a regular male 120vac wall plug on the other side, you could just buy an IEC cord and shorten it, either by buying a plug for the normal side or clipping out some of the middle and splicing it with heat shrink tubing.
But who knows? Maybe they do make them...
They make everything else.

MoonshineMan

Beat me to it!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom