IEM level question

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by fogel, Feb 26, 2015.

1. fogel

fogel Member

I have a question regarding IEM and levels. I'm using a AKG IVM 4500 with varying boards (old peavey, yamaha's, and now a mackie dl1806) and i run into the same issue with each one. my guitar signal comes thru very strong by itself and once the kick drum,bass or full band is added it is like a blanket comes over the sound with no dynamics and is not quite as loud. I have no limiter or compression on the soundmixers and use the limiter on the unit. I have tried all the settings and still get this effect (numerous compressor and limiter settings on the unit) is this common to all in ears? settings? im looking for advice

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

you shouldn't be nearly loud enough to kick in the limiter in the unit!

back off the aux input from the board into your transmitter until it's nowhere near limiting, and adjust your beltpack level accordingly.

when you get limiting anywhere in your monitor system, that's just what happens, it squashes into an unusable mush.

the idea of IEM limiters is for safety, to only kick in when something bad happens like a vocal mic getting shoved into a monitor; there should be no compression with normal use.

(oh, and welcome to TGP seven years later :))

3. fogel

fogel Member

I basically have been a lurker, but i havent been able to find any answers to this searching. let me ask you do the individual levels sum to increase the overall levels. i have the aux out set fairly low and the instruments when heard individually are not overly loud ( i run the body pack at about 50% volume with 1964 ears and a very comfortable volume) when the full band kicks in it seems like everything decreases in volume and "squishes" together, so all inputs to that aux channel need to drop?

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

yeah, the inputs "pile up".

i suppose the gain-staging trade-off might be a little more background noise if the input levels are all lower and you're turning up the pack to compensate, but i'll take it.

are you playing on big stages? i'm surprised you'd need much drums or bass in your mix.