IEM noise with BEHRINGER XR16

rublalup

Hello guys, hope you’re doing great.

We change our console for rehearsal space and got the BEHRINGER XR16... that let us use iem and ditch the small console + jam hub we used and was a total fuzz of cables.

However we’re having a hard time due to noise (seems like white noise) on en ears when going form the aux to p2 headphone amp to iem. If we use headphones the noise is gonne... so we assumed is an impedance problem even when nobody on the band is tech savvy.

No noise on the headphone out, no noise on mains... only on iem vía the aux.

I would really appreciate any input you can give me to trouble shot this. Change iem? BEHRINGER P2 headphone amp? All cabling is new and we tried with another good short cable just to run that out.

Have a great day

PD: we use KZ AS06 in ears. The bassist use shure 215’s and the noise is not as loud but still there.

Stokely

Not sure what it is, but sounds like you are doing basic troubleshooting by trying to isolate the issue. I use the P2 directly from our mixer and have never experienced any noise. iirc it just wants a line level signal, typically you'd connect an aux out to it...I wouldn't think impedance but I'm not really an engineer....

So first thing to rule out is that P2 pack: when you say the bassist uses 215s, do you mean with a different aux and/or different pack, or when connected to that same pack?

Things to try:

Try connecting up a different headphone amp if you have one.

Similarly, try connecting the "bad" aux to a powered speaker line input or another mixer (ie something that can accept a line signal and give you a way to hear it) and see if the noise is present.

Try a different aux if possible.

Switch it around, if you have another mixer connect up the P2 to an aux of that mixer and see if you have the noise.

Those P2s are pretty cheap little units so it wouldn't be surprised if you had an issue with them. Keep in mind too they have a mono-stereo switch inside that might be affecting things depending on the type of cable (TS vs TRS vs XLR) coming into it. If you aren't running stereo then switch it to mono... I seem to recall I was getting a hum from mine when I had it set wrong (not white noise though, more of a low-mid hum that you'd get when a cable is only half-inserted, which was kind of the case if it's expecting the wrong signal and cable.)

sants

What cables are you using to the IEMs? You should be using a balanced cable whether it be TRS or XLR.

rublalup

Not sure what it is, but sounds like you are doing basic troubleshooting by trying to isolate the issue. I use the P2 directly from our mixer and have never experienced any noise. iirc it just wants a line level signal, typically you'd connect an aux out to it...I wouldn't think impedance but I'm not really an engineer....

So first thing to rule out is that P2 pack: when you say the bassist uses 215s, do you mean with a different aux and/or different pack, or when connected to that same pack?

Things to try:

Try connecting up a different headphone amp if you have one.

Similarly, try connecting the "bad" aux to a powered speaker line input or another mixer (ie something that can accept a line signal and give you a way to hear it) and see if the noise is present.

Try a different aux if possible.

Switch it around, if you have another mixer connect up the P2 to an aux of that mixer and see if you have the noise.

Those P2s are pretty cheap little units so it wouldn't be surprised if you had an issue with them. Keep in mind too they have a mono-stereo switch inside that might be affecting things depending on the type of cable (TS vs TRS vs XLR) coming into it. If you aren't running stereo then switch it to mono... I seem to recall I was getting a hum from mine when I had it set wrong (not white noise though, more of a low-mid hum that you'd get when a cable is only half-inserted, which was kind of the case if it's expecting the wrong signal and cable.)
Thanks. The 215 make less noise connected to the same p2.

All aux are presenting the same issue. The noise is present even with the aux outs at zero

Last edited:

Trending Topics