IEM's: !964 vs. Westone

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Benjam226, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Benjam226

Benjam226 Member

I've been a devout Westone user since 2004.
    I currently am using their UM2r's with the UM-56 canal mold.

I have been wanting to do an upgrade for some time to a full custom mold. However the price difference has always held me back. $650 for dual drivers. $800 for triple drivers.

I've since discovered 1964 ears. After doing research, their custom molds are much more affordable (triple drivers are only $400.) I also don't see any major artists using them. Many unknowns and several worship teams.

Has anyone here used both and can compare the two?

2. KidArchitect

KidArchitect Member

Hey Benjam - sorry to derail the post - but I was lookin at getting the UM-56 canal molds for my UM2s.

Can you tell me a bit about them and why you're lookin to go to a full mold?

And while I've never used the 1964s, i dont think ive ever read a bad review on them - sound or build quality. And I've done a lot of research into In Ears.

3. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

Which is exactly why I pulled the trigger on the 1964 Ears. I could not have had a better experience. I read a lot of reviews and not one of them had a single bad thing to say, which says a lot in and of itself. The customer service is awesome.

Can't speak about Westone, they are sort of the standard... but my 1964 ears sound great, I can't imagine that a dual driver or triple driver (apples to apples) head to head would come out with a winner, a tie or preference maybe but I doubt the Westones would truly out perform.

4. playsarobin

playsarobin Results. Not excuses.

I'm using the Westone UM3X with the triple flange sleeves.. Debating going full customs (1964 seems to be the way to go) or go with the UM-56 canal molds from westone for their universals. As I understand it the um3x uses the same drivers as the full custom triple driver so it seems to be 6 one way half a dozen the other. Not sure which direction to go as its full commitment regardless.

5. KidArchitect

KidArchitect Member

Yup still debating going with the um56. I hope OP chimes in with his experience with them.

What I did recently, chopped off the first part of the trip flange. I can shove that thing in my ear now, get a much better seal, and its much more comfortable.

But, since my ears are a bit strange, i have the large comply foam tip in my left ear and my newly modded "Bi"Flange in my right ear.

6. Benjam226

Benjam226 Member

I've been using the UM56 molds for about 6 months and I absolutely love them! They are a MAJOR step up from using the assorted sleeves (comply/triple flange) in both comfort AND sound quality.

1) comfort - I used the comply tips the most. The triple flanges and other types just never could sit firmly and comfortably enough. Baiscally, the UM56 is molded exactly to your ear canal, hence it's more comfortable. It's made of vinyl as opposed to acrylic or silicone. The vinyl is somewhat soft, but firm. I guess the closest thing I could compare it to is like a pencil eraser. I assume the acrylic is harder and the silicone is softer.

2) sound quality - I STRONGLY recommend using the ear lube (Oto-ease, etc) when using custom molds for two reasons. First, they help your molds slide into the exact position they need to be in without causing extreme discomfort on the way in. Second, they help complete the seal. Once you actually have custom molds in and they are seated just right and they seal, you IMMEDIATELY hear a vast improvement in the low end.

To answer your question about why I'm wanting to go to full custom molds, I'm wanting my ears to be single piece molds for comfort. Even though the UM56 is a mold, it's only a mold of your canal, not your entire ear, so the Universal piece still sits in your ear and can get uncomfortable. Second, the UM56 can twist on the earpiece if you are not careful and then it's super annoying trying to get it back where it's supposed to be. Truth be told, the full molds just seem to be less maintenance.

The only reason I'm considering NOT getting the 1964's, is that they only seem to be offered in acrylic material, which seems like it would be less comfortable than vinyl or silicone. However, I've never tried acrylic, so I can't say this with any certainty. Hope that helps.

7. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

Acrylic is not uncomfortable. When I play with them they are in for Three, one hour sets over the course of 3 hrs. No discomfort to speak of... I can tell I have had them in, But my ears aren't sore at all... no where near what it was like with the Universal buds. But I can't compare to the molded tips.

But there's no expansion, no wiggle and they are smooth... You can get Soft canals for $50 more if you really don't want to take a chance on the Acryilic... just no full silicone molds.

8. KidArchitect

KidArchitect Member

Cool thanks for the info!

Yeah I'll try another performance with just regular tips - if the same problem persists (too much sound leaking in), i'll consider getting the UM56

Otherwise, it sounds like i might as well wait and upgrade to 1964s in a year or so