If $600 'Backlund' guitars were offered, is there any interest out there?

John Backlund

I just caught wind of this. That guitar is badass. But if the manufacturer is Eastwood, no way would I buy one. I had such a bad experience with the guitar I bought from them. They took it back, but what a piece of junk.

EDIT: Got to the end of the thread. My guess was correct. The Eastwood 12 string hollowbody I received from them was nowhere near the quality of Reverend or Dusenberg. Will these be made by a different manufacturer than the one which makes the Eastwood hollow 12's?

I don't know who made that model for them, but it wasn't who will be building the 'Backlund' 100's, that will be Korea's Mirr Music Co.

Eastwood has (very) recently moved their guitar manufacturing to the same Korean company that builds the Reverend guitars (Mirr). My sample Retronix R-100, which except for the headstock design, color finish, and possibly the tuners, is exactly the same guitar that Eastwood is offering. I chose the two current color choices and re-designed the headstock (I hate the 'pointy' Retronix R-100 headstock, even though it was 'borrowed' from another of my guitar designs, but believe me, I had no part in choosing it for the R-100) to separate it from the four earlier pre-production examples made for Retronix, one of which I now own.

BeeTL

Gold Supporting Member
Eastwood has just announced this morning the start of their Custom Shop crowdfunding effort for this guitar model in either black/mint or red/ivory, so they will be taking orders for them with a $200 deposit over the next 26 days in this effort. They say that the guitars sold will ship
around the first June.

Here's a link to Eastwood's Backlund Model 100 page on their website...
http://eastwoodcustoms.com/projects/backlund-model-100/
Early on I was imagining you might be going down this road, or at least using the same vendor (Mirr).

What a fantastic way to get a run of unique and special guitars into the hands of players everywhere.

-CM-

Something Clever Here
Gold Supporting Member
I was informed of this possibility just before it hit 100%, but it became a moot point as the numbers rose beyond that, so it's irrelevent now. Even though 100% sounds like a lot of guitars, it's really only sixteen at the very low level Eastwood initially set for this model, which is the lowest number of instruments the manufacturer was willing to even bother with. Right now, at 276% of goal, the total number of guitars pledged is 44, at 300% it will be 48.

I'm not sure how Eastwood will determine the color choice breakdown, but that will be forthcoming, and everyone will get the color choice they prefer. The main hurdle however, has been cleared with a very good margin, so I'm super happy that Eastwood has made it happen. Had I gone ahead on my own and launched a Kickstsarter program, it would have almost certainly failed, and I knew it. There's just no way I could have sold 70 model 100's, but as I've said many times, at this point, I had nothing to lose.

OK, that makes sense. Get everything going, then work out the numbers for the colors.

About the case - their deluxe case has an Airline logo attached to it, which doesn't make sense for this guitar. Will there be something special for the Model 100?

John Backlund

About the case - their deluxe case has an Airline logo attached to it, which doesn't make sense for this guitar. Will there be something special for the Model 100?
Yes, though I don't know if it will have a brand name imprinted on it, but it would be very cool (to me anyway) to have a model 100 hardcase with 'Backlund' imprinted on it. They will be borrowing my Retronix R-100 to develop a fitted case for the Backlund 100

DavidE

I don't know who made that model for them, but it wasn't who will be building the 'Backlund' 100's, that will be Korea's Mirr Music Co.

Eastwood has (very) recently moved their guitar manufacturing to the same Korean company that builds the Reverend guitars (Mirr). My sample Retronix R-100, which except for the headstock design, color finish, and possibly the tuners, is exactly the same guitar that Eastwood is offering.

This is good news.

frankencat

Guitarded
Gold Supporting Member
I want a black one with a case but the case has to be form fitted otherwise just put it in a Mono.

aiq

Silver Supporting Member
John, I am glad you are pushing the envelope and I know you will have many fans.

I can appreciate a daring design even if I don't play that design. I was looking at some pics from a European guitar show with some very wild designs, I dug the art but could not see me playing those either.

I'm a facepalm worthy square, I guess.

All the best with them.

Last edited:

TylerE

Well, just hit 326% thanks to me.

I've been wanting a garage rocky/bizzaro guitar for a while, and it fills quite a few holes in my collection...

Somehow despite owning 5 guitars I own no set necks, no 24.75 scale, and only one with a neck single coil...

John Backlund

Well, just hit 326% thanks to me.

I've been wanting a garage rocky/bizzaro guitar for a while, and it fills quite a few holes in my collection...

Somehow despite owning 5 guitars I own no set necks, no 24.75 scale, and only one with a neck single coil...

Well, thanks Tyler! I hope it's "rocky/bizzaro" enough for you.

TylerE

(and just in case it was cleare, I meant bizzaro in the best possible way.... in the same sense I'd apply the adjective to say, Capt. Beefheart)

Deed_Poll

This is really great. The 100 model has always been my favourite of your designs.

All the best with it, I wish I could put the money down on one but I am pouring all my funds into making my own prototypes at the moment.

I will look forward to being sorely disappointed in a couple of years' time when I look for one on eBay and find they're going for double the RRP!

Like you say, getting them into the hands of players must be the biggest pleasure in all this. That's the thought that keeps me going with my own operation, in this business the money is always just a means to an end for those who care enough about the instrument.

Congratulations, I will be watching with interest!

-CM-

Something Clever Here
Gold Supporting Member
It seems to be pre-selling quite well. With such a good response, do you think there may a possibility of a third color combination? Perhaps the blue, or something in orange?

Last edited:

John Backlund

It seems to be pre-selling quite well. With such a good response, do you think there may a possibility of a third color combination? Perhaps the blue, or something in orange?

Not with this initial go-around, but I have no idea what, if anything Eastwood wants to do with this guitar after the custom shop effort ends in a week from now. Due to it's encouraging numbers sold, they may decide to stock it as part of their instrument Iine and continue offering the guitar, or it may simply end here. Of course, I would like to see it's color finishes expanded in the future to include a blue model, as well as perhaps a Burgandy Mist model.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom